Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 11th, 2014 10:00

UEFI PXE boot not available in OptiPlex 9020 AIO A09 for Win7 loads?

We prefer to use UEFI instead of legacy mode for our new systems. Previously we've been able to use UEFI PXE boot with SecureBoot disabled and Legacy ROMS enabled. The feature seems to come and go with each BIOS release for the 9010 AIO, and now on the 9020 AIO with A09, it's gone as well.

On a 9020 AIO with A09, if I disable Legacy ROMs and enable Secure Boot, PXE is available. If I disable SecureBoot (necessary for Windows 7 load) and enable Legacy ROMS, there is no option to boot to the network when you hit F12.

Our new 9030 AIOs with A02 BIOS allow us to PXE Boot in this manner without issue, so I'm assuming the problem in A09 is a bug and not intentional.

Anyone else running into this?

4 Operator

• 

783 Posts

April 7th, 2015 10:00

@Community,

I'm pleased to report that the Optiplex 9020 AIO BIOS A11 is now available to the public. The A11 BIOS update has resolved an issue where in A09, the UEFI Network Stack check box inside the BIOS would uncheck itself after exiting the BIOS. This was preventing the UEFI networking protocols from showing up in the one-time boot menu.

In short: With the 9020 AIO BIOS A11, you can now have both the legacy option ROMs and the UEFI network stack enabled at the same time.

For those that are not familiar with the specific screens in question, I've listed them below.

Below is the UEFI check box that would un-check itself in A09:

This is the legacy option ROMs check box:

Below is the one time boot menu on A11 with both legacy option ROMs enabled and UEFI Network stack enabled:

The below pic is while the 9020 AIO had A09 installed and after trying to enable the UEFI network stack. You'll notice that the UEFI protocols are missing since the UEFI check box unchecks itself:

December 12th, 2014 08:00

So more info... I have another 9020 AIO that we upgraded to A09 and no problems with UEFI boot for a Windows 7 install.

Switching back to my problem PC, we brought it down to a lower version of the BIOS and the problem continued.

We reset BIOS settings to defaults. No change.

Finally popped the battery and reset the BIOS and UEFI PXE was available again.

Took it back up to A09. Broken again.  SO on this machine the A09 BIOS breaks the UEFI PXE boot capability and a BIOS reset fixes it. The other machine, no issues. Bad motherboard or something else?

February 6th, 2015 15:00

Where is the battery located on the OptiPlex 9020 AiO?

These 9020 AiO systems are very unreliable and I believe the motherboard is at fault. It's possible there is some interaction with the SSD as well which causes problems. We've had to replace numerous motherboards already.

2 Posts

March 6th, 2015 19:00

How did you reset the Bios, I mean what do you do after you take battery out ?

2 Posts

March 6th, 2015 19:00

i just got an AIO 9020 new from a customer it had windows 7 and working, he asked me to upgrade to windows 8 and replace drive to SSD, i took drive out and put SSD in turned it on, it got stuck on DELL logo, not going to bios, put old windows 7 drive back same thing not booting, took battery out put it back, same stuck on DELL log , I am not what happened, now i am stuck, cannot load windows nor can give it back to customer like it was before , do any one have some tips,  i tired to boot from dos formatted usb with new BIOS file, still no luck...., I personally did not have good luck with those AIO Dell computers, I do not recommend them to my clients. 

No Events found!