Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 12th, 2010 23:00

UPS for Dell XPS 8100

I was planning on buying a Dell XPS 9000, until I learned that my almost new APC BACK-UPS XS MODEL 1300 LCD was incompatible with the power supply in the XPS 9000 because it required a UPS which produced "pure sine" waves. I actually discovered this by accident in the Dell forums.

I am now considering purchasing a Dell XPS 8100. However, I can't find anything saying whether it also has a power supply requiring a UPS which produces "pure sine" waves. I could simply purchase it and hope for the best; however, I'm hoping that someone will be able to provide a definitive answer.

Thanks,

7 Posts

July 16th, 2010 18:00

Apparently the battery is dead on my Back-UPS 350, but I borrowed an old Back-UPS 500 from work.  It is probably at least 6-10 years old and I just replaced itsbattery last year.  Results for Studio XPS 8100 w/i5 650 3.2 GHz, 8 GB DDR3, GT220, 1 TB while running Linux from USB WD Passport, no problems.  I could not imagine a modern computer being power sensitive, because voltages are regulated by the psu and should have sufficient capacitance for momentary fluctuations.  Maybe that is only an issue with a really primitive square wave UPS, and most for computers probably have a modified sine wave.   Results while computer was idling based on Kill A Watt meter:

UPS connected to AC power
113.5 volts
0.84 amp
52 watts
96 va
60.0 Hz
P.F. 0.54

UPS wall plug pulled (battery)
110 volts
0.54 amp
52 watts
60 VA
60.5 Hz
P.F. 0.85

Note that  the power factor is better on the UPS (battery) than on AC power (less VA) almost as if the UPS is adaptive to produce the voltage and current in the phase offset that the computer wants it.  As far as your other post wondering if the 350 W psu of the XPS 8100 was up to the task of i7 and GT260, I cannot imagine Dell shipping a system with insufficient psu for at least the hardware that comes with it, even if it uses twice the 100 watt peak power I have seen for I5 and GT220 (which I doubt).  Newer computers and graphic cards are more efficient than computers from the past.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

July 13th, 2010 04:00

From what I recall it too has the Active PFC power supply.  Eventually, all PC's will have them as they are required by the EU (European Union) and are a "greener" more efficient power supply. 

Actually, the pure sine wave isn't the only requirements in SOME power supplies.  I have an Active PFC in my home built system and a "Dell" APC UPS (not a "Back UPS" model)  that is not a pure sine wave but I'm not having any problems.  It seems the switching time (less than 4ms) is also a factor in whether or not a UPS will work with an Active PFC power supply. 

7 Posts

July 13th, 2010 06:00

Fireberd, thanks for the reply.

I admit that I'm hoping you're wrong, since I was really looking forward to buying another Dell computer, but I don't want to throw out an almost new $150 UPS.

It's also annoying that I have to ask the question on the Dell forum because the Dell salespeople know nothing about the power supplies. In fact, two of them said that the power supplies on the XPS 9000 worked with any UPS.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

July 13th, 2010 18:00

I haven't looked at the new HP's or Gateway's but it wouldn't surprise me if they too use the Active PFC power supplies.  Since the EU requires them many PC companies are using them in all PC's rather than have one Power supply for Europe and another for US and possibily another for Asia, for example.  If you look at new "name brand/quality" power supplies on computer parts sites such as www.newegg.com you will see that most of these are also Active PFC. 

Your UPS MAY still work with an Active PFC.  If you have to buy a new UPS, use the existing one somewhere else.  I have UPS' on both of my HD TV sets (and the accompanying cable boxes) and one on my base telephone for my cordless home phones. 

2.5K Posts

July 13th, 2010 23:00

I am running a 2009 PE Server T410 and a 2008 PWS T7400 on a six year old APC RS 1500 UPS with no problems.  I had replace the UPS batteries last year.  I can find nothing about sine wave issues.

This is what APC has to say about Active PFC's http://nam-en.apc.com/cgi-bin/nam_en.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=8883&p_created=1193079387&p_sid=Lx117S4k&p_accessibility=0&p_redirect=&p_lva=&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPTEmcF9zb3J0X2J5PSZwX2dyaWRzb3J0PSZwX3Jvd19jbnQ9MywzJnBfcHJvZHM9MTYwMyZwX2NhdHM9JnBfcHY9MS4xNjAzJnBfY3Y9JnBfc2VhcmNoX3R5cGU9YW5zd2Vycy5zZWFyY2hfbmwmcF9wYWdlPTEmcF9zZWFyY2hfdGV4dD1BY3RpdmUgUEZD&p_li=&p_topview=1

9 Posts

July 14th, 2010 12:00

The Dell XPS 9000 definitely needs a Smart-UPS that outputs a sine wave in order to function properly. A lot of people run into the same problem when they buy the system and attach it to their Back-UPS 1000, 1500 or XS 1200. The non sine wave units just don't work properly with the active PFC power supplies. Your best bet for the Dell XPS 8100 is to go with a Smart-UPS unit. They provide a sine wave output, avr boost/drop, power filtering and surge protection. They provide much better protection than the Back-UPS units.

The XPS 8100 comes with a 350W power supply. If you get yourself an APC Smart-UPS 750VA LCD you would have a run time of 9 minutes. If you add a dsl/cable modem, LCD monitor and a router you'd probably have a load of 450W which would provide you about 5 minutes of run time. If you need more run time, you can get an APC Smart-UPS 1000VA LCD which would provide you 19 minutes of run time. At the full load of 450W (with accessories) you would have a run time of 12 minutes.

If you have a regular PC or perhaps other equipment you could put the Back-UPS 1300 on there so it wouldn't go to waste. For the higher end equipment, you might as well put high quality protection that will protect your equipment.

7 Posts

July 14th, 2010 20:00

First, I'd like to thank everyone for your replies. They've been very helpful.

I do appreciate the suggestions to find some other use for my UPS. However, I paid close to $200 for it about 8 months ago, and I'm very satisfied with it, and I'm not prepared to replace it with another UPS. If worst comes to worst, then I'll just keep my Dimension 9200.

Originally, I was going to buy a Dell XPS 9000 directly from Dell. Then, when I discovered that I would have to replace my UPS, I decided to buy the model XPS 8100 instead. However, now that I have confirmed that there is a significant chance that this model will be incompatible with my UPS, I'm going to buy it from Costco instead. Obviously, I'll lose the ability to configure the computer to my exact taste. On the other hand, if the power supply is incompatible with my UPS, then I will gain the option of returning the unit to a nearby store without any restocking fee.

Thanks again. By the way, you've been far more helpful than the Dell sales representatives I talked to. Both of them claimed that all Dell power supplies were compatible with all UPS's.

881 Posts

July 14th, 2010 21:00

DISCLAIMER: I am not an expert! I do not yet have UPS unit. But I have read many posts (about 50% in each camp) that swear a "normal" UPS will work just fine. Your plan to buy down the street with the easy return option is a good one. If I may ask a favor: PLEASE post the results......... Like most folks these days I would also like to save some $$$$$ when it comes to the UPS.

Thanks.

Jeff

7 Posts

July 14th, 2010 23:00

I have an XPS 8100 I got from Best Buy w/i5 650 3.2 GHz, GT220 video, 8 GB RAM, 1 TB hd and I have not experienced a power failure yet.  But it runs rings around my early Athlon64 3200+ (2 GHz single core) while using less power.  Based on a "Kill A Watt" meter, when idling (web browsing, etc.) it uses about 50 watts vs. 75 watts idling for the old PC.  When doing Hulu Desktop (flash videos) or video benchmarks it generally runs in the low 60's to 80 watts, and the most I have seen it use so far is about 100 watts vs. up to 130 watts for the old PC at not as much speed.

Maybe I will try it on a BackUPS-350 I have, and post back how that works. If it works on that it should work on anything.

7 Posts

July 15th, 2010 03:00

DISCLAIMER: I am not an expert! I do not yet have UPS unit. But I have read many posts (about 50% in each camp) that swear a "normal" UPS will work just fine. Your plan to buy down the street with the easy return option is a good one. If I may ask a favor: PLEASE post the results......... Like most folks these days I would also like to save some $$$ when it comes to the UPS.

Once I receive the XPS 8100, I'll immediately test it by connecting it to my UPS, then turning it on, and then I'll unplug my UPS.

The next thing I'll do will be to report the results.

9 Posts

July 15th, 2010 07:00

Great, we are looking forward to hearing the results! Don't be shy about pulling the plug out and letting it run on battery power. If you hear humming from the power supply on the Dell or if it starts blinking then there are issues for sure. I am crossing my fingers that it will all go smooth.

881 Posts

July 15th, 2010 17:00

Thank You for being the lab rat! I would be but I haven't recovered $$-wise from the system enough to buy a UPS.

Thanks again and I too await your results.

Jeff

881 Posts

July 16th, 2010 18:00

Efflandt - Thanks for the info!! That's what I have heard from quite a few people but I feel better getting first hand information. Correct me if I am wrong (I don't know much about UPS) : It would seem that a decent quality UPS would be ok at least for a few minutes in the event of a power failure. That should save a couple of hundred dollars!

Thanks Again.

Jeff

7 Posts

July 16th, 2010 23:00

Efflandt,

I borrowed an old Back-UPS 500 from work.  It is probably at least 6-10 years old and I just replaced itsbattery last year.  Results for Studio XPS 8100 w/i5 650 3.2 GHz, 8 GB DDR3, GT220, 1 TB while running Linux from USB WD Passport, no problems.

Thanks very much for your response. I am delighted to see that I won't have to replace my UPS. Obviously, if the XPS 8100 power supply works with your UPS, then it will work with mine.

As far as your other post wondering if the 350 W psu of the XPS 8100 was up to the task of i7 and GT260, I cannot imagine Dell shipping a system with insufficient psu for at least the hardware that comes with it, even if it uses twice the 100 watt peak power I have seen for I5 and GT220 (which I doubt).  Newer computers and graphic cards are more efficient than computers from the past.

And thanks for responding to my post about the adequacy of the power supply. I was asking about that mostly because I have seen a number of people asking whether the Dell power supply in the XPS 9000 (it's 475 watts) could handle the GTX260. I guess it's almost time to bite the bullet and order the computer.

7 Posts

August 9th, 2010 17:00

Just in case anyone is waiting for my final reply regarding the testing of the XPS 8100 power supply with my UPS, I have to apologize for the delay. However, I have deferred my proposed purchase because Dell has now introduced the XPS 9100 and they are offering it at an excellent price.

No Events found!