Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 24th, 2006 17:00

US Robotics 5633 Modem

I have recently acquired a US Robotics modem and am unsure of how to connect it into my present system, which includes a Dell Dimension E310 with a Dell flat panel monitor, an HP Officejet 5610 All-in-One printer, copy, scanner, fax machine, with a telephone that includes an answering machine, all on the same phone line. I know I need a USB cable to tie it into the computer itself, but where and how to connect those phone lines?

4 Posts

January 24th, 2006 23:00

I have my officejet set up the same way. Now, however, I will be changing from the internal modem that came in my Dell to this external modem. I'm not sure how to connect the lines in order to disable that one inside the unit and enable the new one that is, of course, outside. Do you know about that?

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

January 24th, 2006 23:00

Here's how my system is set up. OfficeJet connected directly to wall jack. Combo phone/answer machine connected to rear of OfficeJet. Dial-up PC modem connected via inexpensive splitter (available at Walmart, Radio Shack etc) to the same wall jack (It could also be connected to rear of OfficeJet assuming it has enough jacks.) Everything shares one phone number. You'll have to look at markings on back of OfficeJet to make sure you connect things to the right places.

You'll probably need to run HP's software to configure the OfficeJet so it knows it's sharing the line with phone/answer and PC modem. My system is set up so phone/answer machine answers at 4 rings and OfficeJet answers after more than 4 rings. That way answer machine always gets the call. OfficeJet snoops on the line and if it hears fax tones, it disables answer machine and takes the fax. If I answer and hear fax tones, I wait until there's a click meaning OfficeJet accepted the fax and then I can hang up. Obviously, OfficeJet and phone/answer are useless when the PC modem is online.

BTW: To edit one of your own posts, log in and open the thread. Click "Options" at the right end of your title line. Select "Edit" and you can make what ever changes you need.

Ron

Message Edited by RoHe on 01-24-2006 05:25 PM

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

January 25th, 2006 02:00

Open Device Manager, right click entry for old modem and select Unininstall. Then go into Add/Remove Programs control panel and uninstall old modem's software and drivers. Power off the system and unplug from the wall. Press and hold ON/OFF switch on front of PC for ~15 sec. Open the case and physically remove the old modem card. Take precautions against static electricity while working inside the case. Close the case, install the new modem software and then connect new modem to USB.

If you leave old modem installed, you may have a conflict between the two. If you only remove the old drivers but leave the card in the slot, XP may be constantly be 'detecting new hardware' and trying to install drivers for it.

Before you uninstall the old modem, copy down all the settings, your IP address (unless your ISP assigns a new one every time you log on), etc. so you can configure the new modem correctly. Also make sure you have an installation CD for the old modem, just in case you need to reinstall it.

Ron

4 Posts

January 25th, 2006 12:00

Okay. I think I've got it except for the "copy down all the settings". I'm not sure what settings we are talking about. Or where to find them. I've got my IP Address, I can Uninstall my software for the old modem, and it's drivers ( there are three of them, I think), I don't have a CD with my old modem software on it that I know of, but I should be able to get that from Dell, if necessary, but those "settings". I haven't yet figured that one out. There's just no way I can copy down all the settings because I don't even know where they are.

4 Posts

January 25th, 2006 16:00

Thank you very much. Jim

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

January 25th, 2006 16:00

In Device Manager, double-click on old modem's entry. Copy what's on Modem tab and Advanced tab. There are 2 buttons on Advanced page: "Advanced Port Settings" and "Change Default Preferences". Click each button and copy the settings. The "Change Default" page has 2 tabs so get both of them.

In theory, the new modem probably won't change any of these, but should you have a problem, at least you'll have a record of what settings previously worked, especially if you need to reinstall the old modem.

Ron

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

January 25th, 2006 17:00

:)
No Events found!