Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 29th, 2004 20:00

USB 2.0 & FireWire PCI Card

I've installed the Belkin Hi-Speed USB 2.0 and FireWire PCI Card (F5U508) in my Dimension 4550.  It is there, but doesn't work.  When I check the device status I get the message "This device cannot find denough free resources that it can use. (Code 12)  If you want to use this device, you will need to disable one of the other devices on this system.

I've removed my printer, my Zip 250 and my scanner.  I've also switched slots for the card.  I've installed the drivers from the disk that came with the card and have let windows install the drivers.

Any suggestions?  Belkin customer support suggested that there might be a bios setting problem.  My computer is completely updated, including the most recent bios. 

Thanks, Cheryl

551 Posts

September 30th, 2004 00:00

I would try it on another machine to determine if it is your machine or the card.

9.4K Posts

September 30th, 2004 13:00

Cheryl

Sounds like you are using BIOS version A07 or A08.  Those BIOS versions have a conflict with firewire cards installed in the 4550 model and cause the error that you are receiving.  Just flash the BIOS back to version A06 and the problem will be corrected.  BIOS version A06 can be downloaded at this link here.

4 Posts

September 30th, 2004 17:00

Thanks Majestic.  The bios was my problem.

Cheryl

No Events found!