Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 22nd, 2015 14:00

USB 2.0 Port troubleshooting says is USB 3.0

MY brand new XPS 8900 (windows 10) says it has two USB 2.0 ports in the back - I plugged an older HP Photosmart C4200 printer in one of the ports and troubleshooting says "USB composite device is an older device and might not work with USB 3.0   Fix problem by plugging into 2.0 port. Unless I am reading the quick start guide incorrectly the printer is plugged into a 2.0 USB port. The printer works most of the time but gives me a spooling error and the trouble shooting comes back the same error as above when I try to address it. Is there a fix or do I just keep trouble shooting when it quits recognizing the printer?

2.3K Posts

December 24th, 2015 15:00

The ports on the back are USB 3.0 according to what i've seen.  Are they blue looking USB ports?  Normally blue ports mean USB 3.0 and black are 2.0.  From what I've seen the 2.0 ports are on the top/front of the computer.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

December 24th, 2015 15:00

There are 2 USB2 ports in a row (#14) on rear of XPS 8900. Both are just to the left of the Network port (#13) as shown in the setup guide.  There are 4 USB3 ports (#17) in a row further down the rear panel, and just above the 6 audio ports.

Did you look for a new printer driver for this printer that's compatible with Win 10?

December 24th, 2015 16:00

That is where the printer is and has been plugged into i.e. (one of the two each black 2.0 ports in the back). Control panel still says this is an uncorrected condition.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

This thread is flaky and some posts don't appear the first time... :emotion-12:

Yes, connect the printer cable to the USB2 ports in the upper row of 2 USB ports, not to any of the 4 USB3 ports in the lower row.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

Did you try their printer wizard for Win 10-compatible printers?

Did you look at this page about issues after upgrading to Win 10?

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

What happens if you connect printer to one of the 2 USB2 ports on top of PC? Maybe that will be a work-around until you get the rear ports figured out..

I went to the HP site and got the latest driver but I'm not sure if it is Win 10 compatible?

The ports in the back/ top are black and do not have the USB 3.0 symbol which looks like a "SS" as the bottom ones do. The quick start guide indicates they are 2.0 and that is what I plugged the USB cable for the printer into. The guide indicates the ones on the top front are 2.O and are black also. I could move the usb cable there I guess?

downloads.dell.com/.../xps-8900-desktop_Setup%20Guide4_en-us.pdf

December 24th, 2015 20:00

Moved the cable from the back USB 2.0 port to a top USB 2.0 port then restarted the computer. Troubleshooting still says "USB Composite device can't work properly with USB 3.0" "Not fixed".  If I remember correctly when I first set the new computer up I plugged the printer into a USB 3.0 port and then moved it to the one by the Ethernet  port when I got a message about the ports being wrong. I could move the cord back to a 3.0 port for the fun of it??

December 24th, 2015 20:00

The HP Printer wizard lists the HP Photosmart C 4280 but there are no annotations about the compatibility or any annotations for that matter about that printer. I also looked at the "page" (above) but I didn't see anything about the problem I am having.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

December 25th, 2015 17:00

When I put in C4280 and select Win 10 at the HP site, it offers a driver that was updated 12-6-15. So presumably that's the one for Win 10.

You may need to uninstall this printer on the Devices screen in Win 10 and start over. And/or do a System Restore to the last date available before your very first attempt to install this printer.

Be sure to read the printer's installation instructions because some USB printers need the driver installed before the printer is even connected to the PC. And then connect the printer to a rear USB2 port only when the installer request it, assuming it wants the driver before the printer... Either way use a rear USB2 port.

If you do a System Restore, personal files shouldn't be affected, but always good idea to back up on external media first, to be safe.  You will have to reinstall any Windows updates and other software which was originally installed after the date used for the Restore.

No Events found!