Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

S

May 12th, 2008 19:00

USB Optical Mouse Drivers???

I use a Dell USB Optical Mouse, M/N M-UVDEL1, with my Dimension 4700. The mouse doesn't seem to be working right. I can't find a CD for the mouse that came with the system, and when I check the Dell site for drivers in the Mouse and Keyboard section, it doesn't list any (for either Mouse or Keyboard). How should I find the driver for the mouse, or alternatively, how do I improve, or repair, the mouse behavior? Thanks.

Larry

5.8K Posts

May 12th, 2008 22:00

You shouldn't need any drivers for a plain-old 3 button mouse.  Windows should handle it fine with the built in drivers.   I would try the mouse on another system.  It could be broken.

(I got a Dell optical mouse from another system, plugged it into this one and it worked fine without any drivers) 

Peter 

219 Posts

May 12th, 2008 22:00

@PETER345 wrote:

You shouldn't need any drivers for a plain-old 3 button mouse.  Windows should handle it fine with the built in drivers.   I would try the mouse on another system.  It could be broken.

(I got a Dell optical mouse from another system, plugged it into this one and it worked fine without any drivers) 

Peter 

Thanks Peter. I believe you're right. After I posted, I found "Device Manager" and the Properties sheet for the Mouse, and to my surprise it showed two Microsoft files in C:\WINDOWS\System32\Drivers. So that explains why I didn't find anything on the Dell website. I found some Microsoft troubleshooting recommendations for misbehaving mice, but I haven't had time to see if they do any good or not. Thanks for your reply.

Larry

219 Posts

May 13th, 2008 00:00

@RoHe wrote:

You could try using a different mouse pad, or none. Take a Q-tip and carefully clean the lens on the bottom of the mouse where the beam shines out. If necessary, moisten the Q-tip with a very small amount of rubbing alcohol (isopropanol) first, but don't let the alcohol get inside the mouse or on the plastic around the lens or elsewhere.

If it's a wireless mouse, try re-syncing the mouse and the base station. There are probaby buttons on both that you have to press at the same time or in sequence to re-sync them.

Ron 

Good suggestions. Will do. Thanks Ron.

Larry

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

May 13th, 2008 00:00

You could try using a different mouse pad, or none. Take a Q-tip and carefully clean the lens on the bottom of the mouse where the beam shines out. If necessary, moisten the Q-tip with a very small amount of rubbing alcohol (isopropanol) first, but don't let the alcohol get inside the mouse or on the plastic around the lens or elsewhere.

If it's a wireless mouse, try re-syncing the mouse and the base station. There are probaby buttons on both that you have to press at the same time or in sequence to re-sync them.

Ron 

55 Posts

October 3rd, 2016 12:00

My Dell XPS 8300 is about 5 years old and it works well except that occasionally the Dell wireless mouse N787C, jumps around and I lose control. Also copy and paste are having trouble, at times.

I changed mouse pads, have good batteries and did all the trouble shooting recommended like device manger to update drivers etc

There is a button on the USB drive.

There are two buttons on the bottom of the mouse. One has a power symbol next to it and the other a refresh signal.

I don't know if the mouse's signal strength is weakening over the years or if I am not pressing buttons right.

I know that when this began I pressed the button on the flash drive and the issue cleared up, temporarily.

I do not know if I should press on the buttons on the mouse and if so should I do it while pressing the USB drive?

I have upgraded from Windows 7 to 8 and then to 10 Pro.

Other than the erratic mouse, all is well. I tried my neighbors mice one of which has software she could not find and it did not work, and the other worked fine but would not allow me to type in any search box..

I did not feel confident about those tests.

I hope the mother board is not going as I tried different ports.

Can you suggest how I might handle this annoying situation and thank you for your cooperation.

Peter.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

October 4th, 2016 17:00

Press/hold the button on the USB dongle and then press the Refresh button on the mouse. Release both at same time. See that helps.

Have you tried gently wiping the lens on the bottom of the mouse with a soft clean cloth?

Some times mice just wear out...

No Events found!