Highlighted
2 Iron

Re: USB Ports not working on XPS 410

Welcome to our nightmare forum. Why they shelved the old one and opened this mess is beyond me. Looks like some DELL techies had way too much free time on their hands.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Not applicable

Hey folks... Im equally frustrated with Dell lately. For years I have been an avid fan of their systems, but lately...

In my small town, I am a repair tech with an excellent record. I aint the best, but I have a good name. 

As I sit here in my shop, I find myself staring at the only two customer machines awaiting repair.

BOTH are DELLS. One is an XPS 410 and the other is an XPS 210.

BOTH are suffering from the same problem (USB ports not working).

BOTH customers already called Dell support, paid $45.00 (as I recall) for nothing, then brought them to me.

I tried Keith's suggestion to no avail. Unlike the other posters, video is NOT a problem.

If I boot to a bootcd, USB works fine. If in BIOS, USB works fine. 

As soon as Windows kicks in (safe boot as well) USB fails BUT IT DOES POWER THEUSB DEVICE (ie., optical mouse lights and reacts to movement).

This tells me it is not the motherboard... can it be a conflict with a windows update and the motherboards onboard USB controller?

Any ideas will gladly be tested!!!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

thegerb,

I have an XPS 410 now since april of 2007 and around the beginning of 2008, I started getting the 'USB Device Not Recognized' problem causing all USB devices to not work. Well.....I FINALLY found out what the problem was. It was my darn MOUSE!!! Check and make sure you are not using the customers mouse or keyboard. Dell replaced my motherboard twice and keyboard as well. I never took the new mouse because I thought it looked cheap and generic and frankly, didn't think the problem was the mouse. Boy was I wrong! You can go to this link and read more here if you care too.....

http://en.community.dell.com/forums/p/18438400/19457564.aspx#19457564

Hope this helps!!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Not applicable

This is an old page, but my XPS 410's USB Ports all have stopped working upon Windows boot.  They light up and work during BIOS, but as soon as it progresses past that point and Windows boots, all the lights go off and they are dead?  Any insights?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
8 Krypton

JP

This sounds like a different problem and you probably should have started a new thread. And yours is probably software since the ports work before Windows loads.

What version of Windows?

What happens if you boot in Safe Mode (press F8 before Windows starts to load)?  If the ports work when you get to the desktop, then open Device Manager and expand the list under USB. Right-click and uninstall all USB entries. Reboot normally and Windows should reinstall the ports automatically.

If not, you may need to run a Repair/Reinstall of Windows.

Ron

Ron

Forum Member since 2004
   I'm not a Dell employee

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Another "me too" - Dell Dimension 5100 where USB keyboard works in BIOS mode (eg to select boot menu) but stops working as windows starts.

Failure point is too early to allow  Safe Mode booting.

Bootable Linux CD works fine with mouse and keyboard OK, so it's down to Windows XP. Tried an add-in USB PCI card but no luck - probably needs a driver installing.

Looking to either remote edit registry to remove USB items or to do a Repair Install of XP..............

Phil

0 Kudos
Highlighted
8 Krypton

Phil-  If safe mode doesn't work, have you tried "last known good" from the same F8 menu?

Otherwise, the Repair/Reisntall is the only option. Then you'll have to install all the Windows updates and Service Packs again.

Ron

Ron

Forum Member since 2004
   I'm not a Dell employee

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

"If safe mode doesn't work, have you tried "last known good" from the same F8 menu?"

sorry Ron, the keyboard has died before then so it isn't a case of safe mode not working, I can't get to it or any other options other than the default timeout.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Not applicable

I have seen a few responses to this post but nothing helpful yet.  I also suffer from the same condition.  USB works fine while in bios but not past the windows startup post.  I have reformated my drives and have also done a complete wipe of my Raid Array and rebuilt it.  I am running RAID 1.  When I attempt to install the OS either using the XP Media Center Disk or the XP Pro copy that I have been using for the last 4 years this is what happens. 

First it begins to load off of the disk either you have to hit F6 to install the RAID driver so it can find your hard drives (Win XP Pro) or it loads it automatically if you're using the Windows Media OEM version that came with the system.  From there you get to create your partitions and format them as you normally would.  Once it asks where you want to install Windows and you pick either the Windows folder or some other named folder it then prompts you to place the Raid driver into drive "A."  Of course the XPS 410 does not have an "A" drive so I am using a Dell External USB floppy drive.  This drive works great up to this point but now that the message "Starting Windows" had appeared it no longer will respond to my keyboard or my floppy drive. 

I have looked in BIOs and my settings for the USB ports are correct.

Before formatting my drive I did go into Safe Mode many times and the mouse was never there.  I did notice that there was a yellow question mark on one driver that it reported as not having a clue what it was.  Of course since it couldn't tell me what it was I couldn't figure it out either.  I attempted to reload in a number of drivers but to no avail. 

Before this problem happened I did get a virus infection that I could not get rid of after trying a number of tools.  Of course without a mouse it is very difficult to move around in your system.  I decided a full reinstall would be best.  However, the USB issue is still present well after the hard drives have been completely wiped over 7 times. 

Any Suggestions? 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
8 Krypton

Have you tried using an externally powered USB hub (one with its own power brick)? Plug it into the wall and connect it to a rear USB port. Then plug the keyboard into that port.

Are you sure the problem isn't because you're using an external floppy drive to load the SATA drivers ??

Ron

Ron

Forum Member since 2004
   I'm not a Dell employee

0 Kudos