Highlighted
Not applicable

Re: USB Ports not working on XPS 410

Hi Ron,

I have not tried using an external USB Hub but I didn't have to do that when I installed Windows XP Pro the first time.  This USB issue is new and I suspect that it has been caused by the virus.  It has to be something in the bios since the hard drive has been formatted a number of times. 

I MUST load the SATA drivers per USB Floppy Drive since there is no other delivery method available to Windows XP (Only "A" drive support for external drivers) and the XPS 410 does not support an internal floppy drive. 

Thanks for the help.  I can't believe someone hasn't found a fix for this yet.  Seems to be an issue with a few people.

Thanks,

DrScott

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Not applicable

KEITHG2 - Thank you so much!  When I first saw your advice, I frankly doubted its efficacy.  But I was totally stuck with all USB ports failing on boot (keyboard failure in BIOS, no USB-connected devices working in Windows, nothing going through the USB ports on the monitor), so I decided to give it a try - and IT WORKED!  I am back to functioning.  However did you figure it out? 

Thanks again!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Not applicable

I just tried this on our XPS 410. I had gone out and bought a USB 3.0 PCI card because all the USB ports had quit on the machine. Then today THAT card quit too. I tried KeithG's suggestion and now it's running normally again!

Thank you!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Not applicable

The solution that I used was I contacted Dell and bought a floppy disk drive for around $15 dollars I believe.  It's been a few months since I did this.  After installing the floppy disk drive I was able to install the OS with no problems and have not had a problem since.  

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Not applicable

Oh my gosh.  I tried Keith G's suggestion and it worked.  Thank you. Thank you.  We were going to have to replace USB ports.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Not applicable

This problem just rose from the dead on my XPS after a 4 year absence.  Previously, the "hold the power button down" trick worked just fine.  This time, it didn't.  I could get the keyboard to work long enough to get into safe mode, but nothing after that.  I finally booted Ubuntu (11.04) to see if the problem was software or hardware.  The keyboard and mouse worked just fine.  I rebooted back into Windows (maybe did the power button trick again) and lo and behold the mouse and keyboard worked again.

0 Kudos