Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 27th, 2005 05:00

USB\Root_Hub drivers

I tried uninstalling the usb devices and I could not reinstall the USB\Root_Hubs.  Is there a place to download drivers for these devices?  Are these needed?

Thanks

Callins

Dimension 4500
Windows XP SP2

Message Edited by Callins on 12-27-2005 01:43 AM

4.4K Posts

December 27th, 2005 09:00

These are native to XP and should not have or need any driver downloading. By any chance have you reinstalled Windows prior to this problem showing up? 

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

December 27th, 2005 18:00

If you uninstalled the USB root hubs in device manager, rebooting XP should reinstall them. If it didn't, you may be able to fix the problem with a system file check:

click start>run
type in: sfc /scannow
(space between sfc and /)
click OK

sfc will replace any missing/damaged XP system files. Insert your XP CD if sfc prompts you to load it.

Ron

8 Posts

April 5th, 2006 13:00

I have this same problem.  My Latitiude came with the O/S pre-loaded so I do not have an XP install CD.  The only CD I have is for full restore only.  Any suggestions?

8 Posts

April 5th, 2006 15:00

I have this same problem.  My Latitiude came with the O/S pre-loaded so I do not have an XP install CD.  The only CD I have is for full restore only.  Any suggestions?

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

April 5th, 2006 15:00

You can do a Repair Reinstall of XP which doesn't require you to wipe the HD. It reinstalls XP 'on top' so doesn't erase personal files (always good to back up first, just to be safe) or any software you added. You will have to reinstall all XP updates and hotfixes. Details here:

http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/kb/en/document?dn=1056993&l=en&langid=1&c=us&cs=19&s=dhs

Ron

42 Posts

April 5th, 2006 23:00

I did a REINSTALL but somehow I lost all the registry files.  The programs were there but XP did npot know what to do.  I had to clean the hard drive and reinstall the programs.  All my hardware was still there.

Callins

No Events found!