Carol.deshich
1 Copper

USB drive won't map when trying to create an image of Dell OptiPlex 5040 using USB flash drive with Ghost on it

We recently purchased 10 Dell Optiplex 5040 desktops.   On one of them I built a Windows 7 32 bit configuration.  I wished to capture an image of it using Ghost and save it on an external drive.  The USB stick that I used has been used successfully many times on a variety of machines. 

When I boot from this USB it boots successfully to X:\Windows\System32 and then I can navigate to D: as the local drive.  When I try to navigate to E: the message is “the device is not ready”.   When I try to navigate to F: the message is “the system cannot find the drive specified”.

I have tried using all of the USB ports on the machine with the same result.

When the machine is booted into Windows it does recognize and read the USB stick.  The disk administrator identifies it as 'healthy' with an active partition. The file format of the USB and the machine being imaged is NTFS.

I had downloaded all of the drivers for this computer using the Dell website’s Dell Detect program.  The BIOS settings are the default settings. 

I have tested this on the other new Dell Optiplex 5040 desktops right out of the box with exactly the same result.

All of the DELL diagnostic tests have normal results – whether run from the machine itself or the Dell website.

Are there any known problems/fixes that apply to this situation?

0 Kudos
1 Reply
7 Plutonium

RE: USB drive won't map when trying to create an image of Dell OptiPlex 5040 using USB flash drive with Ghost on it

WINPE 10 must be used to create the image  the mass storage drivers are not in DOS nor WINPE 2.0 3.0.  This forum is not Norton Ghost Support forum.  Neither Dell or Microsoft provide 3rd party imaging support.  Only Sysprep with Windows PE10 are supported.

Report Unresolved Customer Service Issues
here

I do not work for Dell. I too am a user.

The forum is primarily user to user, with Dell employees moderating
Contact USA Technical Support

Get Support on Twitter @DellCaresPro