Pavol
1 Nickel

USB or PCI ?

I am thinkin about upgrading some accessories on my Dimension PC, and the first thing I want to upgrade is my sound card. Is there a difference between PCI and USB Audigy 2 sound cards (other than the connection type)? I mean, do they sound the same? Do they perform the same in regular music listening and games? Any advice? Thanks.
0 Kudos
6 Replies
Highlighted
NVRambo
4 Tellurium

Re: USB or PCI ?

It would help to know the model of your Dimension, but in general go with the PCI version assuming you have an open expansion slot.

0 Kudos
RobinBredin
4 Ruthenium

I am thinkin about upgrading some accessories on my Dimension PC, and the first thing I want to upgrade is my sound card. Is there a difference between PCI and USB Audigy 2 sound cards (other than the connection type)? I mean, do they sound the same? Do they perform the same in regular music listening and games? Any advice? Thanks.

Even better, they now do PCIe x 1 audio cards.

If my answer Was helpful?  Please let me know by clicking on the 'Did this answer your question' and clicking on the Yes button.  Thanks.

0 Kudos
fireberd
6 Indium

Most later Dimensions, such as my E510 only have a PCIeX1 slot for video and the rest are PCI.  Thus if it's a Dimension only a PCI type sound card will work.  

Generally, if you have a PCI slot that type will work better.

I am not a Dell Employee

Dell forum member since 2002

Dell Inspiron 15 - 5577 Laptop

Home Built Desktop PC with ASUS ROG Z170, i7 6700K CPU

Windows 10 64 bit Pro and Windows 10 Insider Program Beta Versions. SSD drives. Cakewalk by BandLab and Studio One 4.1 Recordng Studio Software.

Dell S2719dgf Monitor

Member of Nashville based R.O.P.E.

0 Kudos
Mary G
5 Iridium

Anyone notice the 2004 date on this post?

0 Kudos
fireberd
6 Indium

gotcha (or at least got me as I wasn't paying any attention).

I am not a Dell Employee

Dell forum member since 2002

Dell Inspiron 15 - 5577 Laptop

Home Built Desktop PC with ASUS ROG Z170, i7 6700K CPU

Windows 10 64 bit Pro and Windows 10 Insider Program Beta Versions. SSD drives. Cakewalk by BandLab and Studio One 4.1 Recordng Studio Software.

Dell S2719dgf Monitor

Member of Nashville based R.O.P.E.

0 Kudos
RobinBredin
4 Ruthenium

Got me as well. lol

If my answer Was helpful?  Please let me know by clicking on the 'Did this answer your question' and clicking on the Yes button.  Thanks.

0 Kudos