Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 28th, 2013 16:00

USB ports lose power when XPS8700 goes to sleep

Hiall,

I have a new XPS 8700 that I use with my ipod. I would like to charge the ipod with the computer USB, but when the machine goes to sleep, the power to the USB ports is cut off.

1. I have changed the settings in the BIOS to allow the power to remain on.

3. I have changed the advanced power settings (USB power) in the power plan I use (Performance) to try to get them to stay on.

None of these approaches has worked.

Has anyone had a similar problem, and how did you fix it?

Thank you

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

October 28th, 2013 17:00

It appears only one USB2 port has PowerShare. It's #6 in the drawing here, diagonally opposite the power button on the top. Have you tried that one?

What version of Windows?

You can try this too: Disconnect all USB devices except mouse and keyboard. Open Device Manager and expand list under USB. Double-click on a root hub and click Power Management tab. Make sure the box "Allow PC to turn off this device..." is not checked. Click ok back to Device Manager main screen and repeat for all USB root hubs. Then reboot..

2 Posts

October 30th, 2013 09:00

Thanks, ROHE.

I have tried all of your suggestions, but they did not work,

Next, a call to Dell support, which I have read is kind of a time waster, but we will see,

If that doesn't help, then Dell may have a return in their future.

3 Posts

October 30th, 2013 11:00

Well I don't know I have a similar power issue, system would not wake up after sleep, then had to hard shut down. Solved (hopefully)by the following way..

Device Manager> Network Card> Power Management> do the uncheck..

You can have try.

Regards

Rajarshi

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

October 30th, 2013 12:00

Thanks, ROHE.

I have tried all of your suggestions, but they did not work,

Next, a call to Dell support, which I have read is kind of a time waster, but we will see,

If that doesn't help, then Dell may have a return in their future.

You have only 21 days (in US) from invoice date (not delivery date) to ask for an exchange. If you're beyond that, Dell should service the system for you under warranty, So you should contact them for assistance. I'll also see if any of the other forum experts have any ideas...

No Events found!