Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 16th, 2015 16:00

UZ2315H, Low volume or missing audio

I have a Dell XPS 8700 desktop system connected to a UZ2315H (with integral speakers). Sometimes there's no sound and I have to reboot the system to get sound (I don't see anything muted). But even when there is sound, it's not very loud. With the Monitor volume at MAX (using the control on the monitor), the Windows Sound turned all the way up, and whatever player I'm using turned all the way up, it's difficult to hear dialog, say when playing a movie on Netflix. I tried music from iTunes and while it was possible to reach a modest listening level, that was as far as it would go. Usually with an audio device, it's possible to turn it up too loud, but not with this combination.

Windows 8.1.

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

April 16th, 2015 20:00

Open Sound Playback. What it listed there? You should see these two both with green checks. Have you plugged headphones into the left side headphone out jack and tested the volume?

22 Posts

April 17th, 2015 12:00

I have:
1 - S24B300
AMD High Definition AudioDevice
Default Communications Device

2 - DELL UZ2315J
AMD High Definition Audio Device
Default DEVICE

The computer came with an AMD Radeon R9 270 graphics card.

I plugged in a set of Audio Technica studio headphones in the top-panel audio jack found the volume extremely loud at the the same setting.

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

April 17th, 2015 13:00

"in the top-panel audio jack"
This is confusing. Are you referring to the jack on the XPS 8700? I wanted you test headphones directly into the monitor leftside jack.

22 Posts

April 18th, 2015 12:00

Sorry, I didn't realize the Monitor had a headphone jack.

When I plugged the headphones into the monitor jack, the volume was louder than the monitor alone, and turned up 100% (player, windows, monitor) the sound was "full volume" but not uncomfortably loud as is is when plugging the headphones directly into the computer (which is what I did before).

I also plugged a different computer (Dell Studio 540, Windows 7, no sound card) into the monitor HDMI port and got the same results as with the Dell XPS 8700.

I think what we have here is an underdesigned audio system in the monitor unless it's firmware, and I see that the firmware (a new release of which should be out soon) is not field installable. The firmware problem sounds like the trouble I have losing audio altogether.

www.dell.com/.../EN

No Events found!