Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 11th, 2009 16:00

Unable to enable "Line in " feature.

I am attempting to load some music which I purchased 20 years ago on cassetts, on to my harddrive of my Dell XPS 420 with Windows Vista Home Premium. And just for anyones information I have had four Dell computers, a couple of  HP computers a Swan computer. My first computer had Windows 3.1 on it.  If anyone knows how to take care of this problem I would really appreciate any help I can get. No smilie face this time. I have plugged a Mike into the front mike port and get no sound, I have also tried plugging a cable with the feed from my stereo into the "Line in " port in the back of the computer. This system has a "Digital output Device [SPDIF] High Definition Device".

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

April 11th, 2009 17:00

Have you actually checked to see if the inputs are working?  There have been issues on some Vista models where the line in and mic inputs work, just you can't monitor the inputs on the PC's speakers (along with the System Mixer/What You hear is not available). 

Use the Windows Sound Recorder and see if the mic input is actually recording.  You will need a recording program that will record from the line in to check the line in .  The free Audacity recording program is popular and works well.  http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

I forgot about "Swan".  We had some servers that used Swan PC's as the servers, in our early LAN systems. (I'm a retired network and hardware help desk tech/manager).

3 Posts

April 14th, 2009 14:00

I just ordered a Creative Labs Soundblaster card from dell to install in this computer. By installing this and software do I need to go into [SPDIF] High Definition Audio Device and disable the driver for it even though it dosen't appear to be connected to the "Mic" or "Line In" ports? There shouldn't be any cable connections I would have to change with this installation is there?

No Events found!