Simon Sudbury
1 Copper

Unable to get on internet following dual boot Vista and XP

Hi

Have Vista 32 bit on XPS 420 and recently succesfully followed tutorial to dual boot XP. Problem is that I didn't intall all the network and ethernet drivers so XP now boots but there is no internet.

This meant that I've had to use a USB Flash on someone elses PC to get Easy BCD to resore Vista bootloader and missing drivers needed for internet.

According to device manager the ethernet, and related drivers are diabled.

Can you advise where I can download these drivers please.

Many thanks

Simon

0 Kudos
3 Replies
fireberd
6 Indium

Re: Unable to get on internet following dual boot Vista and XP

I take it, from your post, that you did a new install of XP.  Dell DOES NOT support XP on this model.  However, the listed Intel motherboard chipset driver and the Intel Ethernet drivers are also listed for XP so you are in luck there.  On an install the correct and required install sequence is (1) Install Windows (2) Install Dell Desktop System Software (on applicable PC models), (3) Install motherboard chipset drivers (4) Install device drivers including video, sound, ethernet, etc. 

The Dell downloads  HERE   include the Intel motherboard chipset drivers and the Intel ethernet drivers which both list Vista and XP compatibility.  Look over the other drivers to see if they list XP compatibility. 

I am not a Dell Employee

Dell forum member since 2002

Dell Inspiron 15 - 5577 Laptop

Home Built Desktop PC with ASUS ROG Z170, i7 6700K CPU

Windows 10 64 bit Pro and Windows 10 Insider Program Beta Versions. SSD drives. Cakewalk by BandLab and Studio One 4.1 Recordng Studio Software.

Dell S2719dgf Monitor

Member of Nashville based R.O.P.E.

0 Kudos
Simon Sudbury
1 Copper

Have now installed ethernet and other drivers to get internet and used Easy BCD to restore Vista bootloader.

Many thanks

0 Kudos
fireberd
6 Indium

Thank you for the feedback and glad to hear it all works.

I am not a Dell Employee

Dell forum member since 2002

Dell Inspiron 15 - 5577 Laptop

Home Built Desktop PC with ASUS ROG Z170, i7 6700K CPU

Windows 10 64 bit Pro and Windows 10 Insider Program Beta Versions. SSD drives. Cakewalk by BandLab and Studio One 4.1 Recordng Studio Software.

Dell S2719dgf Monitor

Member of Nashville based R.O.P.E.

0 Kudos