Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 14th, 2015 13:00

Unexpected provider failure. Restarting the service may fix the problem. Error code: 8007001F@02000014 Whenever I start Disk Management - XPS 8700

This is an XPS 8700, with a single 1TB HDD (no MSATA), I7, with 16GB RAM, Win 8.1 64.

This has me stumped and I've been working on it for a while.    As the subject line states, when I launch Disk Manger (in Computer Management) I get 4 Unexpected provider failure. Restarting the service may fix the problem. Error code: 8007001F@02000014  entries in the System Event Log.   Disk Manager does work just fine.   And once VDS is running, I can relaunch Disk Manager with no more errors, but once VDS stops, I'll get the errors again once I launch Disk Manager.

Things I've done:

Hunted down all other issues popping up in event manager and resolved them - this is my last one.

I've updated all the drivers where needed and the BIOS.

I've re-installed Win 8.1 twice to no avail.   The reason I've re-installed twice is that I find conflicting information regarding the order things should be installed. 

I've done a lot of googling and this doesn't seem to be that common of an issue, so I'm somewhat surprised.

Any info anyone can provide will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks...

t

10 Posts

March 31st, 2015 12:00

Hi,   I thought I'd let you know that I finally have this problem resolved.    It turns out the cable between the motherboard and the actual card reader was at fault.

The support tech swapped out the card reader and the problem was still there, but since they provided a new cable with the card reader, he swapped that out.    Problem gone.

t

10 Posts

March 31st, 2015 12:00

The issue is resolved.  It turns out it was the cable between the motherboard and the card reader that was causing this.

Thanks for everyone's response.

t

10 Posts

March 14th, 2015 18:00

I'm running Win 8.1 and it is the Virtual Disk Service.   I've run into that KB article in my searches, it's no help as it provides a hotfix that I can't use.

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

This error is a Server 2008 or 2012 hypervisor error.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/867699

This os is not supported on Dell Desktops.

Log Name:      System
Source:        Virtual Disk Service
Date:          15/11/2010 09:17:33
Event ID:      9
Task Category: None
Level:         Error
Keywords:      Classic
User:          N/A
Computer:      XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Description:
Unexpected provider failure. Restarting the service may fix the problem. Error code:8007001F@02000014

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

Only windows 8 with Hypervisor client install has this.

Its not a Dell issue or something that dell would explain its a windows specific error message.

This problem occurs because, after you remove the disk, an access violation occurs in the Dmadmin service when the Logical Disk Manager rescans to change the disk’s state to missing.

10 Posts

March 14th, 2015 21:00

I'm not removing a disk, nor do I have a Hypervisor client installed.    

The machine is under warranty so I guess I'll open a support ticket.

10 Posts

March 15th, 2015 11:00

You may or may not find this interesting, but I've tracked this issue down to 4 card readers (CF/MD Card, MS/Pro/Duo Card, SD/mini-MMC/RS Card, and SD/xD Card) - If I disable those 4 devices, the errors go away.    Do you know if there's any other drivers for these devices other than the default MS ones?

t

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

March 15th, 2015 12:00

BTW:

You might want to check that Storage Service isn't "disabled".

In Win 8.1, Search>services.msc

StorSvc should be set to Manual.

Reboot after making any chance and see if that helps.

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

March 15th, 2015 12:00

You may or may not find this interesting, but I've tracked this issue down to 4 card readers (CF/MD Card, MS/Pro/Duo Card, SD/mini-MMC/RS Card, and SD/xD Card) - If I disable those 4 devices, the errors go away.    Do you know if there's any other drivers for these devices other than the default MS ones?

The XPS8700 has a Realtek carder and there's a Win 8.1 driver is here. Though it's labeled as "icon manager" so I'm not sure what it actually does...

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

March 17th, 2015 09:00

The reader uses the standard Mass Storage Driver.

The ICON manager makes pictures of the various types of flash.

So SDCARD does not look like Compact Flash  or Sony Memory Stick etc.

These icons disappear if you HIDE icons for reader slots without media.

10 Posts

March 18th, 2015 07:00

Yep, it's set to manual.   Thanks for the idea.

10 Posts

Well, I installed this and, while it states it successfully installed, I'm still using the Microsoft driver dated 6/21/2006 with a version of 6.3.9600.16384 - all 4 devices use the same driver which makes me real suspicious of it.    I've uninstalled the drivers on all 4 devices and re-run the Realtek package, but it still rolls back to the MS driver.

10 Posts

That makes sense.  When you say 'These icons disappear if you HIDE icons for readers slots without media.'  Are you referring to the setting in Control Panel/Folder Options/View/Hide empty drives?    As my reader slots look the same regardless of that setting.  -  The Hide empty drives setting works in conjunction with Hidden files and folders/Don't show hidden files, folders, or drivers and when both are selected, the empty drives disappear.

7 Posts

March 21st, 2015 10:00

I have the same exact issue on my XPS 8700. It definitely has something to do with the CF/MD, MS/Pro/Duo, SD/mini-MMC/RS and SM/xd card drivers. The errors always occur unless I disable those drivers.

Dave Ryan

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

March 31st, 2015 16:00

Thanks for the helpful update. Glad they got it resolved for you.

What a weird fix for a strange problem...!

No Events found!