Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 3rd, 2013 15:00

Updated XPS 18 BIOS to A06, won't charge in cradle

Applied the BIOS update A06 today, and on reboot received a message that the computer doesn't recognize the charger as a Dell charger (even though the Dell charger is attached to the Dell cradle as it always was), and that it might not be able to charge appropriately.  Sure enough, if left plugged in and used extensively, the charger doesn't charge the battery.  I've tried disabling and enabling the Dell battery life optimizer, and it doesn't make any difference.  The notification tray icon shows charging, but it doesn't charge, even when the computer is turned off.  

The XPS 18 recognizes the charger when it's plugged directly into the unit, and it charges fine when plugged in directly, but not when it's plugged into the cradle.  The cradle and XPS 18 contacts are clean and don't show any sign of corrosion, and I have made certain that the XPS 18 is seated properly in the cradle.

Anyone else having this problem?  The cradle is the Dell cradle, not a generic or third-party cradle.

3 Posts

August 5th, 2015 07:00

Hi fellows with the issue "plug in ; no charging" on DELL XPS 18 - After some exhausting research I got the conclusion the problem is with BIOS 06 version. I tried to downgrade accordingly with the Dell support's recommendations and got the message "Your BIOS is the same or higher than this version" and I was forced to end the setup process - Through a chat with the Dell Support I had the confirmation that Dell does not authorize the BIOS downgrade - More than this; It has been suggested to wait for the next BIOS version!!! Unbelievable... 

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

December 4th, 2013 05:00

The contacts may look clean but its broken internally somewhere.:emotion-9:

3 Posts

December 4th, 2013 07:00

It was working fine before the BIOS update, so I expect that the BIOS is more likely to be at fault than the contacts.  I'll try to see if I can reflash the earlier BIOS.

3 Posts

January 17th, 2014 22:00

I have a similar issue.

My XPS18 charges from cradle and does not charge if directly plugged in. In this case i can see "connected but not charging" message from battery icon 

21 Posts

January 18th, 2014 03:00

First of all I would recommend an ATX reset (remove all external devices, battery and charger) hold the power button down for ~30 seconds see if this helps.

Check in BIOS (F2 during dell logo) and see if the AC adapter is recognized with the correct speccs.

If you can try with other chargers if it makes a difference.

Check for any damage on the cable connector on both the end of the charger and the computer (this can cause no charge situations).

If this does not help it is either the AC adapter, DC-in and in the worst case motherboard.

36 Posts

March 24th, 2014 08:00

Don't mean to hi-jack the topic

But I'm having the same issue with the charger not working directly plugged in. The battery indicator showing plugged in and not charging. But charges fine while in the stand. Not sure what is going on. I have not updated anything from Dell as far a software. I'm of the opinion that the plug in on the tablet is dead for some reason. I will check the output with a meter to make sure its outputting the correct watts, volts, amps. as per the charger.

36 Posts

March 24th, 2014 08:00

Confirmed that the charger was working fine. It must be something with the inlet part of the plug on the tablet not making full contact with it.

Well that is just fantastic. Now it will probably take two months to get fixed if I send it in for repairs. That is just perfect.

One more thing to check, could someone tell me if there is a software switch that maybe turned off the power to the plug some how????

1 Message

March 26th, 2014 05:00

I have the same exact problem.

I have unplugged the cradle and plugged in directly to the xps 18 and it is now charging.

I am in pursuit to figure out what is wrong with my cradle.

2 Posts

April 14th, 2014 08:00

I have a similar problem--it doesn't charge at all, or it charges but the computer gets hot while charging, taking hours to recharge.  This just started recently.  When I plug directly into the computer the battery charges quickly and doesn't overheat.  Also my battery doesn't last as long now, a loss I wouldn't expect with a six month old computer.

6 Posts

May 12th, 2014 06:00

Any news? Mine just started doing the same thing. Not charging while in cradle, but charges if directly plugged in.

3 Posts

May 17th, 2014 15:00

Now my Dell XPS 18 has started doing the same thing.  When loaded on the stand, the stand light indicator lights up and the tablet battery icon shows it is connected, but it says "plugged in, but not charging".  When I plug the cord directly into the tablet, it works fine.  Any news?

6 Posts

May 19th, 2014 14:00

UPDATE! Dell had to come out to fix it.. Tried up change out stand, then replace pronged part on bottom of computer that charges with stand, but didn't fix. Ended up changing out the motherboard. Works fine now.

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

May 22nd, 2014 16:00

Heard from my Dell tech contact that the issues causing the XPS 18 not to charge in the dock/stand or not charging when plugged in directly have been identified.

Dell Knowledge Base articles have requested to describe these 2 issues and how they can be fixed. Don't have ETA for the KB articles, but I'll try to post links to them as soon as I can.

Hope this gives you some encouragement that help should be coming...

July 12th, 2014 10:00

Same issue for me. Loaded on stand, light on, but icon states " xy% available (plugged in, not charging)." Battery charges when plugged in directly. 

This seemed to occur after computer prompted me to extend battery life by not having battery charged to 100% each time I turned of the computer, so I opted for recharge only if battery below 50% capacity.

2 Posts

February 3rd, 2015 22:00

any update?  my xps shows plugged in, not charging in base and plugged direct.  Just started happening.

No Events found!