Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 3rd, 2013 15:00

Updated XPS 18 BIOS to A06, won't charge in cradle

Applied the BIOS update A06 today, and on reboot received a message that the computer doesn't recognize the charger as a Dell charger (even though the Dell charger is attached to the Dell cradle as it always was), and that it might not be able to charge appropriately.  Sure enough, if left plugged in and used extensively, the charger doesn't charge the battery.  I've tried disabling and enabling the Dell battery life optimizer, and it doesn't make any difference.  The notification tray icon shows charging, but it doesn't charge, even when the computer is turned off.  

The XPS 18 recognizes the charger when it's plugged directly into the unit, and it charges fine when plugged in directly, but not when it's plugged into the cradle.  The cradle and XPS 18 contacts are clean and don't show any sign of corrosion, and I have made certain that the XPS 18 is seated properly in the cradle.

Anyone else having this problem?  The cradle is the Dell cradle, not a generic or third-party cradle.

1 Message

May 8th, 2015 15:00

I'm having an issue with my dell xps18 stand. just today my dell xps 18 wont charge from the stand even though the charging signal appears on the bottom but it says plugged in but not charging, then when i plug the charger directly yo the tablet/desktop it starts to work. can someone help please.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

May 9th, 2015 10:00

I'm having an issue with my dell xps18 stand. just today my dell xps 18 wont charge from the stand even though the charging signal appears on the bottom but it says plugged in but not charging, then when i plug the charger directly yo the tablet/desktop it starts to work. can someone help please.

If you're still under warranty, contact Dell Tech Support right away...

3 Posts

May 9th, 2015 14:00

I had the same problem.  I don't understand why, but the fix for me was replacing the power supply cable.

3 Posts

May 9th, 2015 14:00

Including the black power supply thingee.

July 20th, 2015 12:00

yaser12345,

I am experiencing the exact same issue that you describe here. Were you ever able to find a solution?

3 Posts

August 4th, 2015 13:00

My XPS is exactly with the same problem. Someone knows how to fix it? Thanks.

2 Posts

August 4th, 2015 19:00

I've had the problem twice in less than a year.  In both cases, the fix was to call Dell tech support and they sent a technician.  The first time around, they replaced the internal power adapter (or something similar) the second time out they wanted to do the same thing.  I argued that fixing the same thing twice doesn't make sense (and I was getting nervous about my warranty expiring) so they replaced the motherboard too.  it's been roughly 30 days with no further issues.

3 Posts

August 5th, 2015 07:00

The BIOS isn't the problem, but most likely the problem is due to the way the cradle connects to the tablet. If you don't get ithem matched up perfectly, the cradle and tablet connectors get misaligned, and the resulting mismatch causes power to go to the wrong pins, damaging the motherboard.  The power jack will still allow charging, but the damage to the motherboard doesn't allow charging in the cradle.

August 30th, 2015 17:00

I am having this exact same problem!!!!!!  My battery only charges when the computer isn't on.  Once I'm using the computer I get the "plugged in, not charging" message.  Any resolution to this that you have found??

1 Message

November 5th, 2015 12:00

I've had this problem for a long time (not charging in the cradle), and just today decided to dig in.

I found that the gold connectors in the cradle were loose. So, I decided to investigate deeper.

All but two of the gold pins had separated from the circuit board, but there is a black plastic joiner that holds them in place, and so it could make momentary contact... and didn't appear to be completely broken. But, once I had the piece in hand, it was plainly clear.

With a steady hand, and some soldering skill, I was able to quickly and easily clean and reattach the pins to the circuit board, and voila, all is well once again.

Previously, it would charge on the cradle sometimes... and only after 10 minutes of fiddling with the position of the tablet in the dock.... 

If your tablet isn't behaving in this way, then that may not be the issue for you.. However, it worked like a charm for me.

4 Posts

January 31st, 2016 02:00

Hi there i found out my dell xps 18 is not charging due PWM faulty to send right current at the battery to charge and due the structure of the motherboard which from ac adapter current pass through the motherboard and the battery which it does not power on with out it may someone who is technician or have schematic of the board confirm that in this case is the chip PM25LD010 (BIOS) that act as a PWM and supply the right current at the charge system, was thinking to replace it and see what happen but of course will need to programmed first.

No Events found!