Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 4th, 2017 16:00

Updated graphics card not allowing computer to boot

Hello,

I have a Dell XPS 8300, i7-2600 with 3.4Ghz processor.  The bios is version is A06.

I want to update my graphics card so that I can run 3 monitors.  I bought a NVIDIA Geforce GT 730 and after installing, the computer will not boot or send any signal to the monitor.  The minimum requirements for the card all fall under the specs for my computer (card requirements: 300W power supply w/20 amp minimum on the +12 volt rail, pci 3.0 compliant motherboard, window 7 or higher, i7 with 3.2Ghz processor)

Is there something I'm missing, or is this card not compatible for some other reason?

Thank you,

Christine 

• 

16.7K Posts

May 5th, 2017 08:00

Bronstine,

Below are the bus specs for the xps 8300. The card you are trying to add is a PCI 2.0. The system does not have a 2.0 bus.

Mini PCIe
Connectors One Mini Slot
Connector size 124-pin connector
Connector data width (maximum) 32 bit

PCI Express x1
Connector Three
Connector size 36-pin connector
Connector data width (maximum) 1 PCI Express lane
PCI Express x16
Connector One
Connector size 164-pin connector
Connector data width (maximum) 16 PCI Express lanes

3 Posts

May 5th, 2017 10:00

Hi Jesse,

Thanks for your reply.  The specs for the card read  "PCI Express, or PCI Express 2.0, or PCI Express 3.0 compliant motherboard with one graphics slot."

Isn't a PCI Express what I have?

Thanks again for your help,

Christine

• 

16.7K Posts

May 5th, 2017 12:00

bronshine,
It should work. If you were using an onboard video prior to adding this card you will need to plug the monitor back into it and boot up. Uninstall the onboard video in device manager. Then shut down the computer and plug the monitor cable into the card you added turn the computer on. Load the drivers.

No Events found!