Highlighted

Upgrade Graphics Card on Dell Inspiron 580 MT

Jump to solution

Hello,

I did look through similar threads on this site first, but the most recent one I found was more than a year old, so I decided to create a new Post

We have a 6 year old Dell Inspiron 580 MT. Just purely because of its age I am about to put in a new Hard Drive, & while doing this I thought to upgrade/replace the dedicated Graphics card.

At the Moment there is a 512 MB NVIDIA GeForce G310 card in there. The Computer is used mainly for business, so no gaming stress on it. The Card handles two Monitors, both Dell 2007FP with a resolution of 1600 x 1200. At the moment one is on the DVI, one on the VGA but I would like to make both DVI to "Future Proof" if we replace the Monitors with larger Higher resolution ones.

What would be a sensible upgrade Graphics Card? I would like to find one that would not require a PSU upgrade as well.

CPU is an Intel Core i3 Processor 530(2,93GHz,4MB)

8 GB of RAM onboard

Any suggestions much appreciated :-)

0 Kudos
23 Replies

RE: Upgrade Graphics Card on Dell Inspiron 580 MT

Jump to solution

Hi Eving Traveller

Thanks for writing to us. 

Below are few other graphics card which are compatible with your system. 

nVidia GT220 1GB

nVidia M207 1GB

AMD Radeon HD 5670 1GB

AMD Radeon HD 5450, 1G

You can look for the ports specifications on the vendor website, before you decide on one.

The machine goes with only 300w PSU, so you need not worry about changing the PSU. 

Regards

DELL-Hemalatha P
Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell
Dell Support Videos 
Drivers and Downloads

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Hi,

Thank you for your answer & the list of Graphics cards.

I have also been recommended the Nvidia GT 710 2GB - is this another possibility in your opinion?

Thanks again,

Eving Traveller

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Hello, nice to hear from you.
Unfortunately Nvidia GT 710 2GB is not an option for this system.
Regards

DELL-Hemalatha P
Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell
Dell Support Videos 
Drivers and Downloads

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Ok thanks for the info - I am surprised though.

In the end I guess it doesn't matter - I could not get the card release to work so the old one would not come out. It is totally different looking than the one in the Diagram on the Dell 580 MT Service Manual, & pushing it in did nothing:

0 Kudos
speedstep
Diamond

Jump to solution

Cards with 2 or more DVI tend to be overtly priced.  Also Newer cards are likely to have HDMI and DVI and VGA or Display port.  DUAL DVI is from 6 years back.

http://www.amazon.com/Galaxy-GeForce-Multi-display-Graphics-52GGF4AM5UXX/dp/B007YWMFKU

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814139087

http://www.amazon.com/PNY-DisplayPort-Profesional-Business-VCQ450NVS-X16-DVI-PB/dp/B001RBE7GO

Report Unresolved Customer Service Issues
here

I do not work for Dell. I too am a user.

The forum is primarily user to user, with Dell employees moderating
Contact USA Technical Support

Get Support on Twitter @DellCaresPro

Jump to solution

Yes I agree and in the end just got a HMDI to DVI converter cable to get Digital to the second Monitor & all is running fine.

I had bought a GT710 but have now returned it to Amazon

Would have liked to upgrade the Card though - if only because it is 6 years old & if it fails.....

But as I wrote previously the release mechanism is entirely different to in the Manual, & pressing it seemed to do nothing. Tugged hard on the card while pressing it in but nothing moved & was afraid to damage either the card or MOBO!

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Hi , Have you removed the screw holding the card retention bracket at the rear side? Post removing the screw, you have to remove the the bracket , then push the white tabs at the base of the card and pull it up. 

DELL-Hemalatha P
Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell
Dell Support Videos 
Drivers and Downloads

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Yes I removed the bracket as stated in the Service Manual. But I don't see any white tabs at the base of the card, though to the "rear" of the graphics card there is a black plastic tab, shaped like an elongated "S" that I presume is the release mechanism. But even pushing it in as hard as I could, I saw no movement & the card felt still rock solid. I will try and take some photos & send them these next days

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Sure will wait.

DELL-Hemalatha P
Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell
Dell Support Videos 
Drivers and Downloads

0 Kudos