Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 30th, 2015 09:00

Upgrade an Inspiron 570 Desktop

Hi,

I have an Inspiron 570 desktop and instead of buying a newer one I just want to upgrade a few of the parts. I'd like to do do the following

- replace the broken USB 2.0 ports on the front with USB 3.0 ports

- install an additional hard drive: an SSD which will hold a fresh copy of Windows 10. I'll leave the existing hard drive in place for data. 

- I also have 4 X 2GB or RAM, so not sure if it's possible to replace these and up it to 10-16GB.

I've not changed or modified any of the desktop, so it's as it is out of the box.

What is it exactly I need to buy for the front USB ports and what considerations do I need to make when buying the SSD considering it's for an inspiron 570?

many thanks in advance

511 Posts

August 30th, 2015 12:00

You will not be able to take advantage of  or install USB 3.0 as the motherboard does not have the connections for it and the chipset does not support it.

If you have a free SATA port it is possible to add the SSD to the system. What you need to take into consideration when purchasing the SSD is what capacity it is. For a Windows install only, I recommend 120-128GB drives because that allows for some updates. With this, you will have to map your My documents, My videos, my picutres, and my music libraries to your "data" drive in order to avoid rapidly filling up space. If you plan to install programs to your SSD I would say a 250GB SSD at least.

As for the RAM, the maximum amount of RAM this system supports its 8GB.

August 30th, 2015 14:00

Hi, thanks for the reply. Shame about the USB 3.0, what exactly should I be looking to buy to replace the front USB ports with working USB 2.0? A lot of my searches have come up with a card to replace the USB ports at the back.

With regards to the hard drive and my Inspiron, is there a specific 'version' of SATA I need to take into consideration. For example will the following work http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/sandisk-240gb-ultra-ii-ssd-drive-sata-iii-a34rr

Thanks!

511 Posts

August 30th, 2015 15:00

That is the part you will need to replace the USB ports up front. Most drives on the market now a days are SATA III, which will work with your Inspiron. The SSD you have there will work with your computer.http://www.amazon.com/Dell-Inspiron-Tower-Audio-Panel/dp/B00QEX9C5G

511 Posts

September 1st, 2015 06:00

You're welcome! Post back if you have other questions

September 1st, 2015 06:00

thanks for your help! The parts are on order and I'll be installing next week

893 Posts

November 12th, 2015 13:00

Just an update, so anyone who stumble upon this post would not follow official Dell recommendations regarding upgrades - look here for complete guide http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/desktop/f/3514/p/19490818/20298141#20298141

Memory can be upgraded to 16 GB Low Density - should have 8 chips on memory stick, not 4, simple explanation. Crucial and Corsair almost 100% compatibility.

No Events found!