Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 25th, 2011 09:00

Upgraded video card, lost my audio devices

Hi, I'm running a Dell Precision T5400, and I upgraded my video card from Nvidia GeForce GTX 380 to an Nvidia GeForce GTX 480.  Now I have no audio.  The Audio control panel applet claims I have no audio hardware.  In Device Manager my Sound, video and game controllers list the following:

NVIDIA High Definition Audio (4 times)

Audio Codecs

Legacy  Audio Drivers

But there is nothing showing an issue or a problem, it's like the physical audio device just disappeared.  Since the OS doesn't even see anything to have a problem with, I have no idea how to troubleshoot further.  I suspect the NVIDIA HD Audio is because the system now expects to transimit audio over HDMI?  Just a guess.  Has anyone seen this before? 

Mason

1 Message

June 22nd, 2012 13:00

Change Integrated Audio settings in BIOS from "auto" to "on".  By selecting "on" it makes the sure the onboard audio is being recognized and used as a primary.

268 Posts

Hi Mason_Mason,

That is correct. Since your GTX 380 has a full HD audio device, it installed itself along with the video as the default video device.

Go into Control Panel and find the Sound applet. Then change the Default to your other audio device.

Masi_GC

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

Hi Mason,

The nVidia audio drivers are only for HDMI output. You need to install the drivers for your audio adapter. Go to downloads to get the most current version (hint, click Support above to get to downloads).

Thank you for replying.

I cannot change the defaults as everything in the Sound applet is greyed out.  It is telling me "No Audio Device" under the volume tab, and "No Playback Devices" under the Audio tab.  (Windows XP, forgot to mention that at start).

February 25th, 2011 10:00

osprey4:

I'm going to assume you didn't mean your "hint" to be derisive.

The support site has "ADI 198x Integrated HD Audio" which is SoundMax, and fails to install, since "operating system is not supported by this software"

It also has a download for "Sound Blaster X-FI XtremeGamer" which is not my model.

I cannot even tell you what my model is since there are no audio devices even listed anywhere, as I stated.

Thanks

And I'm an idiot, I had OS set to Vista when I downloaded.  I've tried this install before but wasn't able to get it to work, I tried again just to get exact results for you.

Apparently I need all the hints I can get   :p

When I run the XP version of the SoundMax installer it blocks me telling me:

---------------------------
Installation failed!
The audio driver files do not support your computer hardware.

Note: If you uninstalled audio software without restarting your PC, restart now, then run this setup again.
OK  

So this is not because I have the wrong package (as I thought the first time I did this) but because the actual device is no longer listed or visible to the OS?

Also I can't just take the unpacked SoundMax drivers and manually apply them since there are no items in Device Manager with which to point at drivers.  This is what confounds all my traditional troubleshooting steps, there is no physical item listed in the OS with which to work.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

February 25th, 2011 11:00

Thanks for the update.

There's a little gadget called Belarc System Advisor that will identify your specific audio hardware. Try that.

February 25th, 2011 18:00

This is what Belarc reports:

NVIDIA High Definition Audio (4x)

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

February 26th, 2011 13:00

Ok, not too helpful. :emotion-7:

Do you see any question marks in device manager?

I see two downloads for audio. The integrated audio driver and a Creative driver for some sort of gaming audio card. You can tell the difference by looking at the back of your system. The integrated sound ports will be in a square or rectangular group, 4-6 ports, while the Creative is an add-on card, and you'll see the ports in one of your expansion slots. See if you can tell which one you have.

February 28th, 2011 17:00

Yea, nothing's having trouble in Device Manager.  My audio is attached to the motherboard, so I used the integrated audio download.  That is the one that during install says I don't have the hardware requred and won't proceed.  It is like there is literally no longer any audio hardware attached to my system. 

1 Message

December 29th, 2013 20:00

Oh Minh, that is the solution, thank you. 
After going around in circles with No supported audio devices, I was getting very frustrated after installing a GT630 with a HDMI output. 
Derp** just on a side note** as a sound engineer I am used to making systems find unsupported devices, my excuse is; this was a GPU :emotion-7:

1 Message

May 9th, 2015 08:00

Fast forward a few years, I had the same model, same everything, and after over a week of searching, thanks to this page, I have working sound again! Yay!

2 Posts

January 3rd, 2018 10:00

This absolutely fixed my issue. Sound now works exactly as it should.

No Events found!