Mogle222
1 Nickel

RE: Upgrading Dell XPS 8300 - Need Case Change?

New mobo means:

--NEW Windows OS software(Not cheap, price rarely waivers).

Don't pirate. I did that and got lots of viruses later on. Because windows cant give updates for a non certified os.

--New processor

XPS 8300 Motherboard is 2nd gen. If you buy a 3rd gen mobo you may have issues using an 2nd gen processor from the old xps 8300.

Processors are expensive, intel I7 2600 is still damn good. (Salvage wise you save 200-300 dollars)

--Motherboard

What motherboard you get, depends on what processor you use.

Example: Intel Processor, means an intel mobo; AMD processor, AMD mobo

*I strongly recommend intel because you get alot for your money.

In general chosing a mobo is easy(my perspective)

Factors are:

Do you want to sli or crossfire?

Get a mobo with dual pcie 3.0 or 2.0 slots.

Use Usbs for school alot?

Get usb 3.0 (for those times you procastinate and have to transfer files quickly).

FINALLY THE LAST ADVICE...

NEWEGG NEWEGG NEWEGG

They have the cheapest pricest for hardware components. This winter season.

Example: 35$ for 650w Corsair psu, 16gb ram for $100, and ssds for as low as 79.99 (good ones too...)

0 Kudos
wvorderb585
1 Copper

Thank you a bunch for your help. Hopefully you can continue lending advice based on what I have found so far. I have decided to sell my old pc as a whole, meaning I will need all new parts (processor included). I have been researching both the processor and MOBO simultaneously. As far as the processor goes, I am interested in the i7 4790k or no k, the 4770k or no k, or the i5 4690k or no k. Of those, I am not sure if I should get a k model (I have never overclocked before).

As far as MOBO's go, I am interested in ASRock, ASUS and MSI (unless you have other recommendations). From what I have selected so far as potential candidates, I have chosen the ASUS Z97-Pro, ASUS Maximus Hero V1, ASRock Z97 Extreme 4 or 6 or 9, ASUS Sabertooth Z77, ASUS P8Z77-V LX LGA 1155, MSI ATX LGA 1150 Z87-G45 Gaming, MSI Z87 MPower, MSI 970 Gaming, and probably a lot more. I know that is a bunch but at least I am getting somewhere. I think some are 1155, but it seems the upcoming size is the 1150.

What are your thoughts on this? There are tons to choose from and its tough to decide. Keep in mind, I am still aiming at the GTX 970 series and possibly the 980.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

0 Kudos
Mogle222
1 Nickel

If you are still looking at this forum, I went ahead and bought a bunch of 970s to test which one works. I found that Gigabyte GTX 970 Windforce edition will work. As long as you replace the default psu with 550W or greater.

0 Kudos
Mogle222
1 Nickel

I also found that the EVGA 970s will work with the XPS 8300.

The GPU upgrade cost for a XPS 8300 if your getting 970s or 980s averages about

$490-$550 USD

0 Kudos
wvorderb585
1 Copper

The Gigabyte GTX 970 is much too long and won't fit. I was considering the EVGA 970, but I think I have committed for the long run by building a new pc from the ground up. Any thoughts on my previous post about the MOBO and PCU?

0 Kudos