Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 26th, 2009 13:00

Upgrading Dimension 4700 CPU

I need some advice,

I would like to upgrade to the Intel E8400 Processor, but I know that I would need a new motherboard in order to do this, as the 4700 doesn't support dual core.

I've found out through searching the forums that the 4700's motherboard has proprietary parts, so does that mean that I can't get a non-Dell motherboard? I've been looking at the Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3L. I also read on these forums that if I get a non-Dell motherboard that I would have to buy a new operating system because it's tied to the BIOS, but I can't find any Dell motherboards on the website when searching by my service tag.

I'm rather frustrated, as I don't have a very large budget.

I've been playing World of Warcraft, but have extremely low FPS while in 25 man raids. I have the GeForce 8800GTS, and 2GB of RAM, so I think the processor would really help my computer's performance.

Does anyone have any suggestions for me?

Thanks,

Gwen

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

gxen 

The ATX motherboard in your link will not fit the 4700 case,  the 4700 supports a micro-ATX board.

A non-Dell micro-ATX board will fit but requires heavy case modification to the rear panel and the undocumented connectors to the front panel.

There are no Dell motherboards supporting Core 2 Duo processors, available that would fit the 4700 case.

You are right when a non-Dell motherboard is used, a new retail copy of windows is needed, as Dell's OEM copies are tied to their BIOS.

Bev.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

Deleted

No Events found!