Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 9th, 2016 07:00

Upgrading Inspiron 580s

Hello!

I'm in the process of upgrading my Dell Inspiron 580s (i5 with *slim case*) for gaming purposes.  I recently installed an MSI GeForce GTX 750 ti low profile graphics card and am now looking to upgrade the power supply.  The PSU in my computer is currently at 250 watts while the minimum for the card is 400 watts.  I've heard that I should probably get a 500 watt PSU but have yet to find one.  The closest I can find is the TFX power supply at 400 watts.

Since I'm new to computer hardware and working with it, I just want to double check to make sure there's nothing I'm missing.  Would a 400 watt power supply be sufficient?  Or is there a 500 watt available that will fit the slim case?  Also, aside from the PSU, is there anything else I'd need to replace for the graphics card to properly work?  I'd like my computer to not melt, ha ha.

Thanks in advance!

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

June 9th, 2016 13:00

Hello!

I'm in the process of upgrading my Dell Inspiron 580s (i5 with *slim case*) for gaming purposes.  I recently installed an MSI GeForce GTX 750 ti low profile graphics card and am now looking to upgrade the power supply.  The PSU in my computer is currently at 250 watts while the minimum for the card is 400 watts.  I've heard that I should probably get a 500 watt PSU but have yet to find one.  The closest I can find is the TFX power supply at 400 watts.

Since I'm new to computer hardware and working with it, I just want to double check to make sure there's nothing I'm missing.  Would a 400 watt power supply be sufficient?  Or is there a 500 watt available that will fit the slim case?  Also, aside from the PSU, is there anything else I'd need to replace for the graphics card to properly work?  I'd like my computer to not melt, ha ha.

Thanks in advance!

Corenna

http://pointtek.ecrater.com/p/14556392/500w-tfx-power-supply-tfx500w

The 400w TFX unit should also work fine.

Bev.

2 Posts

June 9th, 2016 15:00

Thank you!

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

June 10th, 2016 06:00

Corenna

You are welcome.

Bev.

8 Posts

June 27th, 2016 13:00

I just did the same upgrade on my 580S with the same MSI 750Ti, too, and went with the Seasonic 350W TFX.  I am running fine with 16GB RAM (G.Skill Value series) and 2 samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSDs, and factory 580S DVD and multi-reader.  Not even close to topping out the power even when running stress tests.  The 750Ti is pretty low power for performance and I just have the single card and monitor.  

No Events found!