Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 21st, 2013 23:00

Upgrading Power Supply in Inspiron 580 Mini Tower

So I got myself a Raedon HD 7870, but my 300W PSU isn't good enough to run it. Next to me I have a CX600 ATX Corsair just waiting for an answer to this question. 

I've already opened up my tower and installed it all the way in except for cables, so the size isn't an issue. I need to know if the cables I have are enough.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139028

This is the product Information

-1x ATX 24-pin
-1x EPS/ATX12v 8-pin
-2x PCI-E 8 Pin
-6x SATA
-4x Peripheral 4-pin
-1x Floppy

The only thing that makes me really nervous is the white plug next to the case fan (think it's called the molex.) 

September 22nd, 2013 08:00

It only made me nervous because I'd rather not boot up my system to have a lack of power flow make my system wonky. I've had problems from cables before (namely making my computer freeze with some connections that were only slightly loose, straight from factory.)

I'll be testing it out now, and report my success or failure shortly

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

September 22nd, 2013 08:00

[

So I got myself a Raedon HD 7870, but my 300W PSU isn't good enough to run it. Next to me I have a CX600 ATX Corsair just waiting for an answer to this question. 

I've already opened up my tower and installed it all the way in except for cables, so the size isn't an issue. I need to know if the cables I have are enough.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139028

This is the product Information

-1x ATX 24-pin
-1x EPS/ATX12v 8-pin
-2x PCI-E 8 Pin
-6x SATA
-4x Peripheral 4-pin
-1x Floppy

The only thing that makes me really nervous is the white plug next to the case fan (think it's called the molex.) 

FapMasterMark

The Inspiron 580 MT does not require any 4-pin Molex power connectors [aka Peripheral 4-pin].

What is the question about the Molex connector and why does it make you nervous?

Yes, the Corsair cables are more than adequate for the 580 MT, this system requires a 24-pin P1 ATX connector, 4 x SATA connectors and a P2 4-pin connector [PWR2] the 1x EPS/ATX12v 8-pin is used for this, it divides into 2 x 4-pin connectors, you can use either 4-pin section for the motherboard.

The 2x PCI-E 8 Pin connectors are used for any video cards that require supplementary power.

The service manual is here:

ftp://ftp.dell.com/Manuals/all-products/esuprt_desktop/esuprt_inspiron_desktop/inspiron-580_service%20manual_en-us.pdf

Bev.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

September 22nd, 2013 09:00

FapMasterMark

Good luck.

Bev.

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

September 22nd, 2013 10:00

It only made me nervous because I'd rather not boot up my system to have a lack of power flow make my system wonky.

Rest assured the power supply you selected is more than adequate.

No Events found!