ethayer
1 Nickel

Upgrading Studio Slim 540s

Is it possible to upgrade my graphics and sound cards?

I currently have the Radeon HD 3450 and the on board sound card.

I need to upgrade the sound card to run Avid Media Composer w/ audio

I know Dell doesn't offer any upgrades but I want to know if I can do that myself.

Thanks

0 Kudos
4 Replies
8 Krypton

Re: Upgrading Studio Slim 540s

There is one PCI slot on the motherboard, and if it's open you could install a PCI sound card.  Since you have an HD3450 it has a PCIeX16 video card slot.  I don't know about an upgraded Video card as the power supply may not have enough power as the power supply is only rated at 250 watts (insufficient for many add ons and may even be marginal adding a PCI sound card).

In addition most Dell "S" or compact models require "low profile" type cards.  I'm not sure on yours but suspect that is also the case. 

What is not compatible on your integrated sound with the Avid Media software, other than there is no System Mixer (what you hear) on new Dell's.

Just a comment, but it looks like the "S" model is not what you should have purchased considering you want to upgrade/add components.

I am not a Dell Employee

Dell forum member since 2002

Dell Inspiron 15 - 5577 Laptop

Home Built Desktop PC with ASUS ROG Z170, i7 6700K CPU

Windows 10 64 bit Pro and Windows 10 Insider Program Beta Versions. SSD drives. Cakewalk by BandLab and Studio One 4.1 Recordng Studio Software.

Dell S2719dgf Monitor

Member of Nashville based R.O.P.E.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
ethayer
1 Nickel

thx Fireberd

Im not too worried about the video card but I need a new sound card to run Avid MC 3.5.

When I bought the 540s I wasn't expecting to use it as an editing station but assumed (I know) Avid would run fine.

I think I may try the Soundblaster XF-i Go!

I'm gonna look into it further before I buy. Has anyone had experience with this? With this brand?

If all else fail I'll install on my Mac.

emoticon.Movie.title

0 Kudos
8 Krypton

I was looking at the system requirements on the Avid Meida Composer  HERE and it doesn't even mention the sound???

I am not a Dell Employee

Dell forum member since 2002

Dell Inspiron 15 - 5577 Laptop

Home Built Desktop PC with ASUS ROG Z170, i7 6700K CPU

Windows 10 64 bit Pro and Windows 10 Insider Program Beta Versions. SSD drives. Cakewalk by BandLab and Studio One 4.1 Recordng Studio Software.

Dell S2719dgf Monitor

Member of Nashville based R.O.P.E.

0 Kudos
ethayer
1 Nickel

I know. You think Avid would mention something so vital in the editing process.

0 Kudos