bobmcleod
1 Copper

RE: Upgrading Video Card in Optiplex 7010

Jump to solution

Patrick,

I saw this post and have a similar question.  I am trying to boot up Dell 7010MT using a thermaltake TR2 RX 850W Power Supply.  The computer will not boot.  Any ideas?

bobmcleod

0 Kudos
7- Thorium

Jump to solution

Full Length cards will not fit. 8.5 Inches is probably Max.

Report Unresolved Customer Service Issues
here

I do not work for Dell. I too am a user.

The forum is primarily user to user, with Dell employees moderating
Contact USA Technical Support

Get Support on Twitter @DellCaresPro

Augman68
1 Copper

Jump to solution

I know this is several years too late but can you tell me what you ended up with on your 7010 MT? did the Corsair 650tx work out?

0 Kudos
kstearns
1 Copper

Jump to solution

I installed a Seasonic power supply.  It didn't fit well.  The Asus video card I purchased that others claimed worked in this computer did NOT work.  Bottom line:  The motherboard will not support upgraded video cards.  I simply wanted to run two monitors.  I ended up using the hdmi port for a second monitor.  Everything works well.  Newegg refused to take back the power supply and video card.  Dell tech sold me a video card THEY claimed would work and it did not.  Then they refused to take the card back.  I ended up selling the whole load of [Admin NOTE: Profanity removed as per TOU] on eBay for about 1/2 what I paid for it.  Bottom line:  when I needed a laptop I didn't shop Dell.  I went to Best Buy and purchased an Acer and am totally happy with it.  Tablet?  Well, I didn't want to go to Dell, but the Venue Pro 8 is pretty darned good.  I bought a used one on eBay for $190 with 64gb.  It's pretty nice.  However, I give tablets away at my seminars, and I purchase HP Stream 7's.  They seem to be nice little tablets.  Dell has disappointed me.  They used to be a great company.  Now they're just a commodity manufacturer with poor support, poor customer service and so-so products.

0 Kudos
franalv
1 Copper

Jump to solution

I have the same issue: i want to upgrade the video card and psu on an Optiplex 7010 (MT case).

Can somebody please confirm either the following items can be 100% OK or not (dimensions / compatibility with case and motherboard):

-  ASUS GeForce ® GTX 760 DirectCU II (GTX760-DC2OC-2GD5)

- ATX Corsair TX 650 W

0 Kudos
franalv
1 Copper

Jump to solution

can 8,6 Inches be OK? ASUS GTX760-DC2OC

www.asus.com/.../specifications

0 Kudos
AletaW
1 Copper

Jump to solution

I recently purchased a refurbished Optiplex 7010 MT.  Core i7 3.40GHz  4GB RAM, 250GB HDD, DVDRW, 7P   I have already ordered the memory to upgrade it to 32GB RAM.

I need to upgrade the power supply and video card to run Adobe software -- Photoshop, etc.   Based on prior experience, I need the fastest possible graphics option.

The video card that I'm thinking about buying is the GEForce GT 640 recommended by Dell.   Is there a specific version since the specifications also say "(OHGA3/M209N)"?  I would prefer to be able to use a card with more memory but still PCIe 3.0 which appears to be much faster than the PCIe 2.0.   If there is a better card out there, please let me know.

The power supply is standard.  Since this is April 2016, the Corsair 650TX appears to be hard to get at best,  Is there another power supply that would work?

Thank you for your help.  Much appreciated!

kstearns
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Good luck.  I thought I had it nailed, but it ended up being a disaster.  Reason?  The motherboard in the Optiplex would not support the video card.  The Corsair power supply wouldn't fit properly but with a bit of modification I got it in.  After all that, the video card would not work.  Newegg refused to take back the video card and power supply, so I was stuck there--selling them on eBay for considerably less than I paid.  Next, Dell technical support told me to purchase one of their video cards.  It didn't work either.  Finally, a repair tech looked at my computer and said "You can plug two monitors in without changing the video card".  So, I did, it worked fine and I run Adobe CS5 with no problems.  The bottom line is the Optiplex is not designed to be an upgradeable computer so if you can make this work I applaud you.

0 Kudos
NewDellz
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Running the GTX 1050Ti LP in my 7010 DT. See vid on my channel on YT:

youtu. be/Vh2TDZlrc68,

0 Kudos
Highlighted
wihjen
1 Copper

Jump to solution

I now this us hold but I got to ask. Was the graphics card you tried was a gtx 770 or gtx 780. Somewhere online someone was having driver issues causing problems. Another got a PC to work with old drivers. The first guy couldn't fix it. Maybe bios, maybe card or psu. A next person got it to work with gtx 1050.

Are you using a gtx 770. Im wondering if certain gtx series graphics card won't work.

Maybe your psu was a factor. Maybe the card require more watts on 12v rail or it require 2 6pin or 8 pin?

Also why the thermaltake couldn't power on the system but the other one did. Could that board be sensitive to psu or something else. perhaps the both PSU are not good enough for the system.

Reason im asking because i want to revive a my friend pc with a thermaltake 750w with a gtx 760. Sound like I'm in trouble

0 Kudos