ballyd
1 Copper

Upgrading Vostro 200 from 32-bit to 64-bit operating system

Jump to solution

I have a Vostro 200 Slim Tower with Intel Dual CPU E2180 2.00 GHz 32-bit operating system, which I would like to upgrade to a 64-bit operating system with 4.00 MB RAM. What are your recommendations? 

0 Kudos
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Re: Upgrading Vostro 200 from 32-bit to 64-bit operating system

Jump to solution

Hi ballyd,

This system supports 667 MHz, 800 MHz DDR2 SDRAM. You can purchase it from any local computer shop.

Please share the operating system you are trying to upgrade (Windows Vista/7/8).

Thanks & Regards,
Appu S
#iworkfordell
To know more about Dell’s Product Support, Drivers & Downloads, Orders & Dispatch status -> choose your region USA, India. For Dell Support Videos, click Here.

rdunnill
5 Rhenium

Jump to solution

The 64-bit drivers for Windows 7 and 8 are most definitely available, just not on the Dell site.

The drivers can be downloaded from their respective vendors' sites.

0 Kudos
6 Replies

Jump to solution

Hi ballyd,

This system supports 667 MHz, 800 MHz DDR2 SDRAM. You can purchase it from any local computer shop.

Please share the operating system you are trying to upgrade (Windows Vista/7/8).

Thanks & Regards,
Appu S
#iworkfordell
To know more about Dell’s Product Support, Drivers & Downloads, Orders & Dispatch status -> choose your region USA, India. For Dell Support Videos, click Here.

rdunnill
5 Rhenium

Jump to solution

Windows 8 Professional is relatively inexpensive but it has a radical user interface that many don't like. Windows 7 Home Premium regularly goes on sale at Newegg for $80 and that is version you're likely best off with.

I have a G.SKILL 2x2gb kit installed in my Vostro 220s.

0 Kudos
ballyd
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Dear Appu S,

Thanks for your answer. My current operating system is Windows 7.

0 Kudos
rdunnill
5 Rhenium

Jump to solution

The product key will work with 64-bit versions as well.

You can download a 64-bit install ISO from Microsoft partner Digital River, or buy a Dell reinstall disc on eBay like I did.

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Hi ballyd,

Thank you for the response. You may try the steps as suggested by rdunnill. However, would like to inform you that the drivers for Windows 7 and 8 are not available for this system. Windows and Windows 8 have most of the drivers inbuilt. Dell also have not tested this system to be compatible with Windows 7 or Windows 8.

Thanks & Regards,
Appu S
#iworkfordell

0 Kudos
rdunnill
5 Rhenium

Jump to solution

The 64-bit drivers for Windows 7 and 8 are most definitely available, just not on the Dell site.

The drivers can be downloaded from their respective vendors' sites.

0 Kudos