Highlighted
pzpwjy
1 Copper

Upgrading a Studio Slim 540s to a NVIDIA 8400 GS causes no sound on my LCD TV

Hello,

I have a Studio Slim 540s (Win Vista Home Premium, 32 bits). Recently my video card ATI Radeon HD 3450 crashed. I bougt a GIGABYTE 8400 GS (NVIDIA chipset). My PC is connected to a LCD TV trough the HDMI. With the ATI card I had no problems to hear the sound on my TV, but with my new NVIDIA I hear none with the same interface. According to the manual, I must connect the video card with the provided S/PDIF cable to the motherboard... but where?, is it necessary to hear sonud on the TV? The ATI card hadn't this cable. On the MB there is a set of 5 empty connectors labelled SPDIF_OUT1; is here where I must connect the cable with only 2 connectors? If so, what's the schema for the connection?

Thanks in advance,

pzpwjy

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
8 Krypton

Re: Upgrading a Studio Slim 540s to a NVIDIA 8400 GS causes no sound on my LCD TV

Some video cards with an HDMI port have their own built on the video card audio chip.  Apparently that was the case with the HD3450, which is a newer and better video card than the older technology 8400GS.  I would suggest returning the 8400GS and getting another HD3450 card or if the 8400GS was used card from an old PC, just buy another HD3450 and avoid the hassles.

The Dell on-line manuals that I looked at do not detail the S/PDIF connector.  We are users helping users on here, not Dell employees and only have access to the same documents you do.

I am not a Dell Employee

Dell forum member since 2002

Dell Inspiron 15 - 5577 Laptop

Home Built Desktop PC with ASUS ROG Z170, i7 6700K CPU

Windows 10 64 bit Pro and Windows 10 Insider Program Beta Versions. SSD drives. Cakewalk by BandLab and Studio One 4.1 Recordng Studio Software.

Dell S2719dgf Monitor

Member of Nashville based R.O.P.E.

0 Kudos
8 Krypton

Re: Upgrading a Studio Slim 540s to a NVIDIA 8400 GS causes no sound on my LCD TV

Hello,

I have a Studio Slim 540s (Win Vista Home Premium, 32 bits). Recently my video card ATI Radeon HD 3450 crashed. I bougt a GIGABYTE 8400 GS (NVIDIA chipset). My PC is connected to a LCD TV trough the HDMI. With the ATI card I had no problems to hear the sound on my TV, but with my new NVIDIA I hear none with the same interface. According to the manual, I must connect the video card with the provided S/PDIF cable to the motherboard... but where?, is it necessary to hear sonud on the TV? The ATI card hadn't this cable. On the MB there is a set of 5 empty connectors labelled SPDIF_OUT1; is here where I must connect the cable with only 2 connectors? If so, what's the schema for the connection?

Thanks in advance,

pzpwjy

As stated by fireberd, the 3450 has an onboard audio device that outputs via HDMI. The 8400GS does not have an onboard audio device; the only way to transfer audio via HDMI is, as you surmised, by attaching the two leds to the appropriate pins on your 540s mainboard. Only two pins are needed for a non-optical connection.

I found a pinout diagram for a five-pin SPDIF header: Pin 1 is power (used for optical connections); pin 2 is ignored; pins 3 and four are SPDIF and SPDIF1; and pins 5 and 6 are both grounds.  The pins are arranged as follows: with the no-connect (missing pin) in the lower left-hand corner, the pins are arranged top-to-bottom with 6,4,2 on the left side (remember that 2 is empty) and 5,3,1 on the right side.

If you want a graphical diagram, send me an e-mail.

For your video card, I suggest using pins 3 and 5 (SPDIF and the first ground). A disclaimer: If you connect the wires to the wrong pins, you may cause damage to your TV, although I've miswired SPDIF outputs before without such problems. (Thanks, Dell, for not documenting these.)

0 Kudos
8 Krypton

another option is to run the TV using a VGA cord ... if your TV has vga in that is ... then just use a simple audio 3.5mm cord to plug in between computer's speaker plugin and the VGA audio plug in on your TV ... the 8400 is a very low quality poor choice graphic card with no audio out on hdmi ... 

if you don't game at all i'd use an ATI 5450 

if you game a little then one of the new Nvidia gt 430

0 Kudos
8 Krypton

The 8400GS isn't great, but it's not poor either. And, the OP's 8400GS will support audio over HDMI via the SPDIF pass-through leads. I had audio out over HDMI with an 8500GT that way. (I attached the two leads to the SPDIF and GND pins of the onboard SPDIF header.)

The internal SPDIF option is the easiest, but it's also possible to buy an SPDIF bracket and run a separate cable if the TV supports an SPDIF input. Or, use analog connections.

0 Kudos