Desktops General - Read Only

Last reply by 05-16-2016 Solved
Start a Discussion
2 Bronze
2 Bronze

Using DELL Optiplex GX620 - Installing 6 GB of RAM

I'm running Ubuntu Linux (64-bit) and upgraded from 4 GB to 6 GB of RAM. Currently, this is how my Optiplex GX620 rates, according to BIOSAgentPlus:

BIOS Type: Phoenix
BIOS Date: October 13th, 2005
BIOS ID: OptiPlex GX620
BIOS OEM: A05
Chipset: Intel 2770 rev 2
SuperIO: Unknown
Manufacturer: Dell Inc.
Motherboard: OptiPlex GX620

As I understand it, A05 is capped at 4 GB, even though my 64-bit OS will see more, if the BIOS allows. If I flash up to A11, will that remove the 4 GB limitation, or am I still stuck with it?

Replies (14)
2 Bronze
2 Bronze

To get 3.5 GB you would need to have 4 GB or more installed. As you can see from my system stats above, I have 6 GB of physical RAM installed in my system, but even though I'm running 64-bit Linux, the Intel 945 chipset only passes 3.5 of that along to the OS. Of the remaining 2.5, 2 GB is ignored and 512 MB is used for the system bus, PCI slots, on-board video, etc.

10 Diamond

The Bios will recognize up to 8 gigs.  However the max ram you will get is 3.5 gigs.  

This is a Chipset Limitation.

64 bit os will not fix this.  If you want more ram use an Optiplex 755 or better.

Report Unresolved Customer Service Issues
here

I do not work for Dell. I too am a user.

The forum is primarily user to user, with Dell employees moderating
Contact USA Technical Support

Get Support on Twitter @DellCaresPro

Diagnostics & Tools

6 Thallium

Mine wouldn't boot with 8gb installed.

10 Diamond

Mine wouldn't boot with 8gb installed.

Mine would boot with 32 Bit OS XP/Linux.  64 bit os would try to boot and then hung.

Report Unresolved Customer Service Issues
here

I do not work for Dell. I too am a user.

The forum is primarily user to user, with Dell employees moderating
Contact USA Technical Support

Get Support on Twitter @DellCaresPro

Diagnostics & Tools

2 Bronze
2 Bronze

With all due respect, that makes very little sense.  If you change the mainboard then the PC is technically no longer a GX620- unless you are basing your system names on the system's case.  So technically speaking I find your "advice" to be somewhat comedic.  Furthermore, dell cases are often so proprietary that I have to say good luck finding a "mainboard" aka motherboard that will fit into the GX620's case (without drilling and adding mounting posts, etc...).  The bottom line is a GX620 will not support the use of more than 4gb of memory in any configuration-  and 512mb of that will not be accessible to the user. "Changing the mainboard" will make the computer into a machine that is something other than a GX620 and I'm going out on a limb here by assuming that it would VOID the customer's warranty, if applicable.

Latest Solutions
Top Contributor