Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 16th, 2016 06:00

VGA on Dell Precision T1700

Hello, I just got a brand new Dell Precision T1700 and the VGA port doesn't seems to work. The PC does boot up but the display is totally black. I bought a DVI to VGA and that solved the problem by connecting my VGA cable to the DVI adapte.

The PC comes with Win 8 Pro 64-bit. It doesn't show any error into the Device Manger : and the NVIDIA Quadro 620 drivers are OK.

This is my first Dell PC and I wonder if this is normal or do I have a problem with the VGA port? Or do I have to enable the VGA out maybe from BIOS or something? 

Thanks.

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

January 16th, 2016 11:00

There is no vga port on the video card and you must use the video card since the built in vga port is disabled when a discrete card is installed.

It is a waste to connect to vga with a new computer. Digital is much better than analog. It you have an old vga monitor, it is time to buy a new one.

January 16th, 2016 12:00

Hello and thank you for reply.  Just for curiosity´s sake:

1. If the built-in VGA port is disabled why build a PC with a VGA port and then disable it?

2. I just checked the BIOS --> Video Settings --> and I have the following:

• Automatic
  • VGA
  • NVIDIA Quadro.

Right now is set on automatic and it works only via DVI. If I connect the monitor via VGA cable, the PC doesn't pick-up the VGA port. I also tried to change it to VGA, but still without any luck.

3. Technically speaking, if the VGA port can't be enabled/disabled from the BIOS, how the VGA port present on the motherboard was disabled?

This is not a rant, I'm glad that I bought a Dell PC but the questions from above are bothering me and, since the PC has a warranty, I just want to understand if the VGA OUT is really disabled or doesn't work because is broke. I paid 1000 euros for this PC and I live in a country where the minimum wage is 350 euros. I hope you understand my concerns. Thank you.

2 Posts

January 29th, 2016 01:00

Hi, I have the same problem: Brand new T1700 with Windows7/64 and i need to connect it to VGA (yes i know that digital is better but for some reasons i need the VGA). The VGA output is completely dead even if i change the bios settings and take out the NVIDIA addon card :-(

I tried to install the Video_Driver_FGGYJ_WN32* but it refused to install ("Computer does not meet the minimum requirements" :-(   My first idea would be that the "32" does not work with my 64bit OS but could not verify-

Plase help. Thanks

Tomas

1 Message

February 15th, 2016 06:00

Have you had any updates on this issue?  I am having the same problem.

2 Posts

February 15th, 2016 08:00

HI, I used a simple DVI to VGA converter to get my needed VGA connectivity. It works.

Tomas

1 Message

December 20th, 2016 21:00

"It is a waste to connect to vga with a new computer. Digital is much better than analog"

Is there an award for being the owner of one of the most useless comments ever posted on a technical forum on the internet? The question is not "should I get a new monitor?", it's "how do I connect this monitor to the provided hardware that everyone expects should work out of the box?".

No Events found!