Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 27th, 2016 09:00

VOSTRO 230 Power issue, possibly MoBo?

Hi, I recently picked up this computer second hand. 

Every so often, sometimes after 6 hours sometimes after 36, the computer will act as though it has lost power. The power button is unresponsive and has no indicator light showing, the status LEDs on the power supply and the ethernet port are solid (I did not note what colours they were, I shall update next time it happens).

To get the machine to reboot I have to remove the power cable and then hold the power button until the PSU and network light go out (They turn off suddenly rather than dim). After this I can reattach the power cable and the computer will boot and act normally for another period of time.

Any ideas?

April 27th, 2016 21:00

Hi Liambass

Thanks for writing to us. 

The issue could be caused by either a faulty PSU or motherboard or both. Its a tricky situation rather. 

Please update the BIOS if not yet and observe for any promising changes. 

Try a different wall outlet just in case. 

Await your response.

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

April 27th, 2016 21:00

For what it's worth, power supplies fail more often than motherboards.

3 Posts

April 28th, 2016 10:00

Thanks, I'll give the BIOS a go. I'm confident that the socket is not the problem but I shall indeed try that next time.

The PSU and Network status LEDs are both solid green during the problem.

This evening the usual trick of holding the power button while unplugged didn't work, I unplugged the power connectors from the MoBo and removed the CMOS battery then held the power button before replacing it all and trying again, alas to no avail, the PSU status was solid green but there was no hint of booting. After about 10 minutes of being plugged in and left alone it tried to boot and gave me the 5-5-5 beep code, so I recleared the CMOS and it allowed me to boot again after resetting the time in the BIOS.

I doubt any of that will have solved the problem, we'll have to wait and see, just thought I'd better update in case it helped anyone help me fault find 

April 28th, 2016 20:00

Nice to hear the machine is working fine.
Will await for your response post updating BIOS

April 30th, 2016 19:00

Hi
How is it going on with the system ?

3 Posts

May 1st, 2016 00:00

I haven't done the BIOS update just mainly because I just haven't got round to it, also though, the instructions with the update exe don't list windows 10 in the compatible systems list, I'm assuming that this isn't too much of an issue but seeing as you asked I thought I'd better check. 

Anyway, since clearing the CMOS I haven't had any problems and currently have a little over 2.5 days up time.

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

May 1st, 2016 10:00

For what it's worth, I use a DOS-bootable flash drive to update BIOSes.

May 1st, 2016 21:00

Nice to hear that. Do give us a shout should you need any help in future. Have a good one.

No Events found!