Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 15th, 2011 08:00

VT-d support for Dell Precision T1500?

Hi!

I'm having problems with getting Virtualization (VT-d) to work on my Dell Precision T1500 (BIOS version 2.3.0).
There is only one option available in BIOS regarding Virtualization, but it seems to be some kind of "main switch"
and it doesn't specify which Virtualization-technologies that will be enabled. I've tried this one without success.

In my previous system (Dell Optiplex 755) there where a specific option in BIOS for VT-d, called "VT for Directed I/O".
This system worked well and I was able to configure a guest-OS to get exclusive use of a PCI-NIC (assigned by the host-OS).
I'm using KVM with SUSE Enterprise Server 11 SP1.

When I'm using the new system there is no sign of support of VT-d in the kernel log (dmesg) according to:
http://www.linux-kvm.org/page/How_to_assign_devices_with_VT-d_in_KVM

I'm using the same OS and settings as in the old(Optiplex) system that worked OK, so the problem is related to the new hardware/BIOS.

The new system got an Intel Core i7-870 which have all the Virtualization support needed. So the problem isn't related to the CPU.
What is the limiting factor here? Is it the BIOS or the chipset on the motherboard?

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

February 18th, 2011 20:00

emwhbr,

I have been digging and cannot find why the VT-d tag is not included. Will keep looking.

2 Posts

February 21st, 2011 04:00

Hi!

Also tried the latest BIOS-version 2.4.0 with no luck.
No new entries to play with in BIOS. No change when trying to active the functionality in the OS after the BIOS update.

Also tried to deactivate the internal sound and NIC in BIOS. But this didn't help either.

3 Posts

January 9th, 2015 08:00

Any update here?

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

January 9th, 2015 08:00

VT-D depends on the CPU and Bios  Not all support it. Precision workstations are not designed to replace power edge servers as ESX Servers.

3 Posts

January 12th, 2015 02:00

Thanks Speedstep,

While I understand a Precision workstation isn't a PowerEdge, VT-D is in some Precision Workstations, and some level of virtualization is done on workstation-class systems.

There was a post earlier that someone was looking into it and would keep digging. I was curious to know about the results of that.

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

January 12th, 2015 06:00

Most Support VT-x   but VT-d  depends on Bios and CPU and drivers.

So its not a yes or no answer its a Depends on what software and what cpu and what bios version and what motherboard revision.   VT-x and VT-d also do not guarantee Intel Trusted Execution Technology (Intel TXT). Short and simple answer is that if it doesn't show up in bios its VERY LIKELY your cpu does not support it.  Even the GX620 has VT-x but only with very late INTEL Pentium D 950 and 960.  Unless all points are met CHIPSET BIOS CPU its not happening.

3 Posts

January 22nd, 2015 14:00

T1500 uses the Intel H57 Chipset.

http://i.dell.com/sites/doccontent/shared-content/data-sheets/en/Documents/precision-t1500-spec-sheet.pdf

According to Intel, this chipset does not support VT-d.

T1500 doesn't support it.

No Events found!