3 Argentum

Very Disturbing Phone Call I Just got!

My phone rings and the Caller ID shows this:

Caller says he is from Dell and asks for me by name? Smelling something rotten I asked why the Caller ID didn't show Dell. He said it was because he was using an Internet Phone. Then asked if I was at the computer, said yes, and then he said it was sending out reports to them of errors on my computer. He said to make sure it was the correct computer he'd like to check the Service Tag... no way I'm telling him that and he proceeded to give me MY SERVICE TAG! Then the scam started, look at my Event Viewer and all the errors and warnings... at that point I hung up (and he didn't call back of course).

So I called Dell Support and spoke to them. Of course they told me it wasn't them who called and it was a scam. Surprisingly I was told this has been happening to many people.

I was concerned HOW they got the 3 pieces of info, name, number, and Service Tag. Asked to speak to a Supervisor. Eventually he confirmed they've been getting calls from customers like this. Dell Security is investigating.

Afraid that my Dell Credit card was compromised I call Dell Financial as well. They too say the data is safe.

Well, be warned.

Oh, I did call the number back and got a recorded message, "This call could not be completed because I was trying to reach a Skype user"?

Oh well.

22 Replies
5 Iridium

RE: Very Disturbing Phone Call I Just got!

Most businesses sell your basic information to mass marketers. However, knowing your Service Tag number is bothersome. Either Dell has been hacked, or you have. To make sure, ensure that you have good AV and malware programs running, and run as many free programs as you can to see what's what. More likely it's Dell.

XPS M1530, Win 10 CU Pro 32-bit
Inspiron E1705, Win 10 CU Pro 32-bit
Dimension 9100, Win 10 AU Pro 32 bit
Inspiron 660, Win 10 CU 64 bit
Inspiron 3668, Win 10 CU 64 bit
Asus T100 Tablet, Windows 10 CU 32 bit

0 Kudos
3 Argentum

To make sure, ensure that you have good AV and malware programs running, and run as many free programs as you can to see what's what.

Of course I keep a Security Suite running and up to date, McAfee that was shipped with the Dell in this case. Also 'occasionally' run MalwareBytes, SpyBot, and others. Can't be too careful here.

Supervisor did state they have gotten other calls like mine from customers and Dell Security is working on this.

Yes, names, phone numbers, and e-mail addresses are often sold to 'like' vendors who could use those contacts. I don't think Dell or Dell Financial does though. However my Service Tag should not be known unless I had posted it in a forum post and I'm pretty sure I would not have. Only Dell should know that. Yes, programs on my computer can see that, but what would be the odds of a specific program getting that data and sending it somewhere without my knowledge? Getting my name and phone number too, Even Dell's Support App. doesn't have my name or phone number. I know my name and phone number IS on this computer is different places, but for an app to collect that it would have to know all possible locations of such data AND it was running on a Dell. Hard to believe such an app would exist?

BTW, as it happens, McAfee started a scan today after the call, results:

It is a custom scan as I have replaced the C: drive with an SSD and kept the old one and can boot from it if need be, but that drive is never accessed or used, so I don't waste time scanning it.

Also just ran Malwarebytes Anti-Malware scan:

Pretty sure I'm 'clean'.

0 Kudos
8 Xenon

Hi IrvSp,

I appreciate you posting your story. I've had similar calls, as have my family, not claiming to be from Dell but Microsoft or in one case Windows. That's very disturbing about the service tag. As you know, Dell forum policy does not allow people to post their service tag, but many people do anyway, in addition to email addresses, home phone numbers and even home address. I've seen just about everything except blood type.

Anyway, your instincts served you well, and let's hope that's the end of it.

0 Kudos
8 Krypton

If you check the Customer Care forum, there have been a number of posts recently where the caller knows the user's name and Service Tag, so Dell should be aware of this issue.

I got one of these calls yesterday and he claimed to know my all info, but when pressed for details, all he'd say is "your Windows 7 PC". Asked which of my two Win 7 PCs is sending "distress messages" and he was stuck...

Said I'd have to call him back so he gave me his company name: "iTech" at 855-335-7469. I promptly filed an abuse report with the federal trade commission.  emoticon.BigSmile.title

EDIT: Don't know why censor software didn't like the abbreviation.

Ron

Forum Member since 2004
   I'm not a Dell employee

0 Kudos

Ron,

I get at least  3 or 4 calls a week  from ppl who say they are techs and  my computer is doing what they say yours is doing.

i don't think they ever said what my tag #is?

If i have the time and am so inclined, I'll play their game, but I'll also keep one step a head of them  and ask them what they want me to  do  next, open the event viewer?  🙂

After a while i tell them the jigs  up and that's that.....btw, they didn't call today, I feel rejected!

Dell Forum Member Since 2004 but not an employee of Dell

If this answers your question, click
  Yes  

0 Kudos
8 Xenon

Your service tag unfortunately can be had from WMI

and because remote support and WMI

are turned on by default that wouldn't require much to get.

wmic csproduct get vendor,name,identifyingnumber
IdentifyingNumber Name Vendor ABCDEF1 Precision 380 Dell Inc.

wmic /user:administrator /node:remote-host(or IP ADDR)   
bios get serialnumber
SerialNumber ABCDEF1

This is why its bad to have an
administrator with no password.

If you open a command
prompt you can test this locally.

It allows me to do this even
on a locked down system
where I am a user in a domain.

Report Unresolved Customer Service Issues
here

I do not work for Dell. I too am a user.

The forum is primarily user to user, with Dell employees moderating
Contact USA Technical Support

Get Support on Twitter @DellCaresPro

0 Kudos
3 Argentum

If you open a command
prompt you can test this locally.

I think all is OFF, but I also have a router that will block unsolicited packets as well as a firewall. My account requires a P/W too.

I opened a CMD prompt as an Administrator and ran this:

=================

C:\Windows\system32>wmic /user:administrator /node:192.168.1.30  bios get serial
number
Enter the password :

Node - 192.168.1.30
ERROR:
Description = Access is denied.

================

I don't think it was gotten from my system.

0 Kudos
8 Xenon

192.168.1.30 is an RFC1918 number and not routeable.

The NAT translated number is what a remote attacker would use.

The Internet Assigned Numbers Authority (IANA) has reserved the
   following three blocks of the IP address space for private 
(Non routeable) internets: 10.0.0.0 - 10.255.255.255 (10/8 prefix) 172.16.0.0 - 172.31.255.255 (172.16/12 prefix) 192.168.0.0 - 192.168.255.255 (192.168/16 prefix)

Open a CMD window and type

wmic csproduct get vendor,name,identifyingnumber

what does it say?

Report Unresolved Customer Service Issues
here

I do not work for Dell. I too am a user.

The forum is primarily user to user, with Dell employees moderating
Contact USA Technical Support

Get Support on Twitter @DellCaresPro

0 Kudos

Here's a link to some helpful information regarding this issue.

Third Party Entities Posing as Dell

Regards,
Robert 

0 Kudos