Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

S

October 25th, 2008 12:00

Video Card Low Power Warning?

Dell replaced the power supply on my XPS Gen 4 yesterday, and now I get an Nvidia message during games that the card has insufficient power. I checked and the power wire is attached to the card. I also tried reseating the plug. What can the problem be?

145 Posts

October 25th, 2008 14:00

The power supply is the same # and specs. I think it might be a false positive warning from Nvidia Sentinel. The 8800 GT cards have issues with some power supplies. I turned off the Nvidia Driver Helper Service and so far the games are playing normally.

513 Posts

October 25th, 2008 14:00

Have you double checked that the new PSU is of the correct size?

Perhaps check that the plug you are using for power is working by substitution it with another.

513 Posts

October 25th, 2008 15:00

Sounds like you are correct.  I wasn't aware that these cards can be a bit fussy.

1 Rookie

• 

2.1K Posts

October 25th, 2008 16:00

It's caused by some sort of timing miscommunication between the PSU, motherboard and the GPU. Some people have been able to resolve it by switching to a different PSU or GPU and some haven't. Sometimes even a different PSU that is the same model and from the same batch at the factory has fixed it, and sometimes not. Nvidia and the PSU and mobo manufacturers are aware of the problem and are trying to work out a firmware solution to avoid any more hardware RMA's and the necessity for a hardware revision.

513 Posts

October 25th, 2008 21:00

Are you able to explain or provide a link that explains how there can be a timing issue between the PSU and GPU? 

While a compuer PSU is a switching mode unit, the output is filtered.  There should only be some AC ripple present - nothing that I would expect to cause timing errors.  There must be something about these critters I don't know.  Sounds interesting.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

October 25th, 2008 21:00

ElkWapiti, I'm with you.  The output from the power supply is only Voltages, no timing signals.  Even tho it's a "switching" power supply the output is still filtered DC voltages. 

I've only been in electronics since 1955, and computers since 1962, maybe I've missed something.  

When I worked on a NASA Apollo tracking station (Ascension Island), NASA would not allow any equipment with switching power supplies because of the potential of even very low RFI that could affect the S-Band receive from the spacecraft.  But, that is not an issue with modern PC's.

513 Posts

October 25th, 2008 23:00

Exactly.  While filtering caps are not perfect, they are very good.

On the other hand, electricity is fascinatingly weird stuff and is constantly surprising me.

No Events found!