Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 5th, 2011 12:00

Video Card Manufacture Dell XPS

Hello there, I've had a week trying to fix my video card after a botched driver update, and basically I am now trying to flash my video card's bios. But I'm not sure of the manufacturer for the video card. It's a Geforce9800 GT 1 gig I got this as a gaming rig from best buy in 2008 and it's a Dell XPS 630i (not sure if that's just a case or a model number.) Does anyone know of a way to find out the manufacturer? There's no logos on the card itself, and after talking to nvidia it sounds like I need to find out through Dell. My desktop is out of warranty however and it looks like there's no way for me to get free phone or chat support anymore. Any help is appreciated!

2 Intern

• 

20.1K Posts

May 5th, 2011 13:00

NVidia makes that card, not Dell. Video cards don't have bios. You can update the driver--that's all. If you need to update your Dell computer's bios, go HERE.

XPS630i is your model number for the computer. You find downloads by using that model name.

2 Posts

May 5th, 2011 13:00

That's what I thought when I started this process. But apparently NVidia doesn't manufacture all of their cards. This is one that they licensed through dell and dell got from a 3rd party manufacturer. It doesn't look like nvidia physically made any of the 9800 gts. And I also thought graphics cards didn't have bios. But I was wrong there too. I've been reading about them for two days now. I appreciate your help though!

14.4K Posts

May 5th, 2011 16:00

Why do you think you need to update the cards bios for a driver issue? That will most likely not help your problem at all.  Dell uses several different vendors to make their cards and they are made to Dell specs and are most likely not compatible with any bios you might come across.

What is the nature of your botched driver update? Have you tried rolling back to the previous driver version? You might also want to try a system restore to just before you installed the new driver.

If that fails you can go get DriverSweeper. You download and install the program but do not run it yet. Have your previous driver file saved to your system. Uninstall the video driver. When you go to reboot boot into safe mode. Once you are in safe mode run DriverSweeper to remove left over files. Once that is done reboot into normal windows and install the previous driver

No Events found!