Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 3rd, 2009 20:00

Video Card Quit - trying to find system specs w/ Service Tag

Greetings All,

It appears as though my video card has quit... computer is on and running, but just a black monitor screen w/ the amber light on. It's been crashing the last couple of months and has done this 'black screen' before and has always come back, but it's been 3 days now and it hasn't worked... I've cleared out all of the dust, made sure the vid card was securely in place, as well as all of the connections.

Anyway - my system is just over 3 years old (warranty expired in Dec 2008), and my video card that just quit was a nVidia 7800GTX 256mb. Now, I'm not currently in position to buy top of the line vid cards, and plan on just upgrading to an 8800 or 9800 series option. However, seeing that my system is 3+ years old, I want to make sure that whatever I buy is going to be compatible with my system (XPS 600)/mobo, etc.

I've been trying to find my system specs on dell.com using my Service Tag, and while I found a list that seemed to be what I was looking for, it was all listed in dell product jargon, and made very little sense to me.

I'm pretty sure I have a PCI slot (actually have 2 slots for SLI, but do not plan on using atm)... but I do not know if this is a PCI 2.0 slot, and really even what that 2.0 means in regards to compatibility with some of the vid cards out there. 

Apologies for the ramble, but here's the actual question - is there a place where I can find my motherboard specifics (to know if the new card will be compatible), my power supply specifics, and anything else I need to know to ensure compatibility? 

Many thanks for any advice offered!

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

February 3rd, 2009 20:00

Use your online manual to see your model specs. You could remove the video card and take it with you to the store to make sure you get the right kind. Your service manual is here <ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>.

No Events found!