Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 27th, 2009 15:00

Video blacks out occasionally for a few seconds

I just got the Studio XPS 9000 with Windows 7.  The video card is a 1024MB nVidea GeForce GT220.  Every now and then the screen goes black for 2-3 seconds and then comes back.  I also get an error message that says:

Display Driver NVIDEA Windows Kernel Ver 186.27 has stopped responding and has recovered successfully.

It may be my imagination but it seems to happen most frequently when I'm on the internet and a second window opens and I grab an edge and try to resize it.

Anyone else seeing this??  I'm looking for solutions. I wanted to leave Dell support an email message but it had a note that email support was for hardware problems only and for software issues I should use their chargeable software support phone line.  I don't think I should pay for support for a machine right out of the box.

3 Posts

November 30th, 2009 20:00

I have the same problem with my XPS 8000 with GeForce GT220.  It happens when resizing windows exlporer windows...not every time, but enough to anger me with a new computer.  I'm calling Dell and they better not try to charge for this!

6 Posts

December 1st, 2009 05:00

Please keep me posted.  I noticed the nvidea website has a newer version of the driver, but I first want Dell to address the issue.  I have had one incident when the screen went dark and didn't recover.  I had to manually shut down the PC and restart.

I'm also planning to call Dell when i can get away from work during the week.  I figure if I called on wekends, it would be on endless hold.

3 Posts

December 1st, 2009 15:00

I went ahead and updated my drivers fron NVIDIA's website.  SInce then , the issue has not repeated - I'll keep an eye on it and let you know if it happens again.

6 Posts

December 2nd, 2009 07:00

Thanks.  I'll probably do the same.

1 Message

December 4th, 2009 17:00

Thanks for the tip as I was having the exact same problem.  I updated the driver but now it flickers when I scroll.  One thing I noticed is that I am running the 64 bit Win 7 so I downloaded the 64 bit driver but the driver that was on my control panel was a 32 bit. Which one should I have used?

1 Message

December 4th, 2009 23:00

I'm having the SAME exact problems. Computer a little over a month old. XPS 9000 64bit Windows 7.  It happens whenever a new window pops up to save a picture, or whatever. Anyone?

3 Posts

December 5th, 2009 08:00

Ever since updating my drivers on NVDIAs website, I've had no more problems: http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us

Good luck!

16 Posts

December 10th, 2009 12:00

I'm having the same problem with my XPS 8000 and nVidea GT220.  My screen goes black usually when a print preview window opens ( I haven't noticed it when  on the internet as some people are saying).  so did anyone call Dell and what was there solution?  I haven't tried the video driver download yet.  I saw one person comment on another thread that the new driver solved that problem and created another with Window Live gallery.  For those that downloaded the driver, are things working out fine now?

4 Posts

December 13th, 2009 15:00

I also have a similar configuration that I just received with the same identical problem.  I was appreciative of these postings since it provided me a way to resolve the problem. Unfortunately I upgraded the driver and installed it (verified after a reboot that it was running) but still have the same problem but maybe a little less frequent.  The version of the nVidea driver that I am running is 8.15.11.8634.  Has anyone had any luck with resolving this?  I am little frustrated with this and hesitate to go into the Dell support center.  Thanks.

16 Posts

December 13th, 2009 20:00

Well, I went to the nVidea site and updated the driver to the Win7 64 bit (195.62) and now when I hit print, my computer not only goes black but I lose the desktop.  So its worse now and I don't know how to get it back to where it was.

Ok, now it seems to have straightened itself out and is working without blacking out.  Not sure why but for now its working.

Nope, its not working.  Video crashed and went into power save mode and refuse to come out.  This is frustrating.

4 Posts

December 17th, 2009 18:00

I have updated my system with the latest driver from the nVidia website and it has resolved my problems.

16 Posts

December 17th, 2009 22:00

Did you uninstall your driver and then installed the new driver?  I saw somewhere that I should have uninstall the driver first. 

4 Posts

December 18th, 2009 21:00

I installed the driver without performing an uninstall.  I did verify even after a reboot that the new driver was resident.   However, my problem was identical to the original positing. I believe you had indicated that you had a problem when trying to do a print preview.  I did not experience that problem.  

9 Posts

December 19th, 2009 23:00

I'm having the same problem with my XPS 8000 and nVidia GT220.  I have reported it to Dell who were sending out an engineer to replace the card, after waiting for and not receiving a phone call to arrange time for the engineer I contacted dell again only to be told they have no GT220s in stock :(   Dell are supposed to be calling next week to update me

16 Posts

December 20th, 2009 11:00

I called Dell and they remotely messed around and updated the Bios and video drivers and called it good.  It was good until I hung up and the problems started over again.  I haven't called them back yet to say it didn't work.  How did you get straight to having the card replaced?

I went ahead and just turned off print preview since it seems my problems centers around the print preview window.  I'll see if I get any other problems.

No Events found!