Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 27th, 2009 15:00

Video blacks out occasionally for a few seconds

I just got the Studio XPS 9000 with Windows 7.  The video card is a 1024MB nVidea GeForce GT220.  Every now and then the screen goes black for 2-3 seconds and then comes back.  I also get an error message that says:

Display Driver NVIDEA Windows Kernel Ver 186.27 has stopped responding and has recovered successfully.

It may be my imagination but it seems to happen most frequently when I'm on the internet and a second window opens and I grab an edge and try to resize it.

Anyone else seeing this??  I'm looking for solutions. I wanted to leave Dell support an email message but it had a note that email support was for hardware problems only and for software issues I should use their chargeable software support phone line.  I don't think I should pay for support for a machine right out of the box.

9 Posts

December 21st, 2009 13:00

A dell engineer is coming out within the next couple of hours to fix mine will let you know the outcome

9 Posts

December 22nd, 2009 00:00

Engineer came today, replaced my card with a new one, 15 minutes after he left the same error appeared..ggggggrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Engineer coming back out tomorrow to have a look and possibly reinstall w7?   But after googling the error, seems everyone has the same problem and nobody knows the fix :(

2 Posts

December 22nd, 2009 15:00

I just got my Studio XPS 9000 on the 18th and also have the same exact problem....what monitors do yall have?

9 Posts

December 22nd, 2009 19:00

I have the SP2309, using the DVI cable

16 Posts

December 22nd, 2009 20:00

I have the Dell SP2309W using HDMI

6 Posts

December 23rd, 2009 06:00

I started this thread a while back.  My problem seems to have disappeared but I'm sure it's still lurking.  From following the thread, I'm left with a few impressions.

First off, I don't think it's monitor related - too many different monitors.  I also don't think switching out video cards or reloading windows 7 will fix things.  I think it's either a flaw in the design of the video card or a problem with the video driver.

Does Dell monitor these forums at all?  This appears to be a fairly common problem with this card.  I'd think Dell would be working with the card's supplier to solve the problem.

If they can't solve it, they should offer the option of a different card that hasn't shown these problems.  If the optional card cost a few more bucks, I woudn't mind paying the difference. 

60 Posts

December 23rd, 2009 16:00

just got my xps 9000 yesterday and noticed the same thing. when logging onto the internet my vido will blank out and i receive the message about a problem with the drivers and that it has recovered. will call dell. thanks

4 Posts

December 23rd, 2009 17:00

Unfortunately as of about two weeks ago the latest nvidia driver that Dell was posting for download was released in July by nVidia.  That particular driver did not resolve my problem.  The driver available for download directly from nVidia as recommended by a few others on ths forum worked for me.  It was released in November.

12 Posts

December 25th, 2009 10:00

I've had my XPS 9000 since 11/25/2009 and this issue just started occuring three weeks ago.

I have uninstalled the updated the drivers, rolled back the drivers, nothing seems to fix it.  I've read about this issue on other forums as well and it doesn't seem specific to DELL, but to the video card and the drivers.  There are complaints about it on both 32-bit and 64-bit systems, running both Vista and Win7.  I am running Win7 64-bit.

I first started having problems while playing Borderlands and now I can't even get that game to run without crashing on my shiney new PC. 

I am not amused.

Just now did another uninstall/re-install of the drivers, using the ones from June (186.18 aka 8.15.11.8618).  Fingers-crossed.

2 Posts

December 28th, 2009 06:00

I too just received the XPS 9000 Win 7. Dell Monitor SP2309w.  The video card is a 1024MB nVidea GeForce GT220

Same problem with the blacking out. I downloaded the new drivers from nvidea.  No help so rolled those back.

I am also having a problem witht  the monitor. The colors are gastly and the screen will not fill. I tried to use it with my laptop and whole window starts in the middle of the monitor screen. Dell is sending a new monitor this week.

Before I go the route of a replacement video card I am looking for any and all input on this problem. The hour and a half I spent talking to tech support about the monitor was painful as I had run all the tests they had suggested before calling.. Don't want to repeat the process with the video card.

16 Posts

December 28th, 2009 09:00

I haven't called Dell tech support back yet, been too busy with the holidays.  But I did turn print preview off since that was where I was getting the black outs.  The black outs haven't reocurred since I have done that.  So this is what I did previously, I updated with the latest driver at nVidia and that did not solve my problem.  I then called Dell who updated my bios and the video driver (from nVidia) and that worked for 15 minutes and then the problem returned.  I turned off print preview and no more problems.  I'm still going to call Dell when I get a chance here.  I don't seem to have or ever had the problem with internet surfing and having the black outs like it sounds like most of the posters here are saying.

15 Posts

December 28th, 2009 11:00

Download the latest drivers from the nVidia website - they came out in November and are certified for Windows 7. They solved my identical problem. When you go to the nVidia downloads page use option 2 and have nVidia choose the proper driver. You will be amazed at the improved performance of your computer.

Larry

6 Posts

December 28th, 2009 20:00

Experiencing the same issue - get the message after it happens:

"Display driver stopped responding and recovered: Display Driver NVIDIA Windows Kernal Mode Driver Version 186.34 stopped responding and has successfully recovered"

In the process of downloading the driver from NVidia, and will see what happens with that.  XPS 9000 w/ GT 220.

12 Posts

December 29th, 2009 06:00

I have read complaints about the 19* drivers from NVidia, so I went with the older 186.18 drivers and the issue has not recurred since the 25th. 

The thing that did the trick, I think, is uninstalling the current drivers first.  Before I was updating over the one that was installed.

Go into Device Manager, select the Display Driver and choose "Uninstall" from the Driver tab.  You will get dumped into VGA mode or something, but then when you reinstall your new driver (whichever version you choose) it should be a "cleaner" install.

XPS 9000, Win7 64-bit with the GTX 260 card.

December 30th, 2009 13:00

I have been experiencing the identical problem. XPS9000/GT220  Seems to trigger when dragging a window edge. Today I went to the Nvidia site and downloaded the latest (Nov) driver (195.62) So far so good.

No Events found!