Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 27th, 2009 15:00

Video blacks out occasionally for a few seconds

I just got the Studio XPS 9000 with Windows 7.  The video card is a 1024MB nVidea GeForce GT220.  Every now and then the screen goes black for 2-3 seconds and then comes back.  I also get an error message that says:

Display Driver NVIDEA Windows Kernel Ver 186.27 has stopped responding and has recovered successfully.

It may be my imagination but it seems to happen most frequently when I'm on the internet and a second window opens and I grab an edge and try to resize it.

Anyone else seeing this??  I'm looking for solutions. I wanted to leave Dell support an email message but it had a note that email support was for hardware problems only and for software issues I should use their chargeable software support phone line.  I don't think I should pay for support for a machine right out of the box.

11 Posts

January 18th, 2010 16:00

I had the same problem with my brand new Studio XPS 8000.  I just spent 1 hr 45 minutes on the phone with a Dell tech.  It is a hardware problem.  They will be sending someone out to replace my video card.    I'm hoping the replacement later this week will fix my problem.  

I'm betting if you look in your computer's Event viewer under Computer - Manage you will find a message similar to your message referencing display driver nvlddmkm.   We aren't the first - this has been a problem with nVidia for several years from looking on Google and the Dell Community for "nvlddmkm". 

Call Dell.

4 Posts

January 18th, 2010 18:00

Hi RanRuth

I think your problem might be a slightly different one . . . which often involves a blue screen of death and a "nvlddmkm" error.   Most of the problems here involve a temporary black out and "recovery."  I hope the new card works for you.  At least you didn't waste a couple of days reloading windows and all your apps.  I still think the problem is video card driver related.

DOESN'T ANYONE AT DELL READ THESE BLOGS?  It sure would be nice to see a definite fix for this problem.  Again, since I did a clean install (reboot after uninstall) to the 11/09 nVidia driver, I've not had the problem (it was occuring about 10 times a day prior to that).

15 Posts

January 19th, 2010 11:00

Chalk up another one...I have the Dell XPS 9000/Win7 HP/nVidia GT220. I got it around Dec 16th. I've had this identical dropout issue too, athough it's only happened a few times.

However, when on Facebook and playing farmville (no laughs), often the screen will just go black when playing in full screen mode. A reboot is required to get the video back. Farmville is a flash based game and I wonder if there's a correlation.

I'm running my Dell ST2410 monitor via hdmi.

I wish they would have gone with ATI...

For those interested, nVidia just posted a new driver for the GT220, it's version v196.21 dated Jan 19, 2010. Who's gonna give it a try?

http://www.nvidia.com/object/win7_winvista_64bit_196.21_whql.html

12 Posts

January 19th, 2010 12:00

Ten minutes ago I wrote this, which is now outdated by dmspen's info:  Equipment - Dell Studio XPS 435T/9000 with Nvidia GeForce GT220 1024MB video card.  Since receiving the Dell in December, the screen would go black for a few seconds before recovering.  The computer reported a video hardware error (a livekernelevent) and continued as if nothing had happened.  Occasionally I was able to replicate the sequence by grabbing the edge of a pane and attempting to increase or decrease the size.  I experimented with different progam panes, e.g., IEx64, Firefox, MSWord2007, Audacity, and the results were the same.  Following several suggestions in this thread, I first
downloaded v195.62 (11/26/2009 release) driver directly from the NVidia site.  Then I found the GT220 in the computer's Device Manager and deleted the current driver.  Then rebooted and did the same thing several times until the old generic VGA driver appeared in the Device Manager.  Only then did I click the NVidia downloaded program to install the latest drivers.  Since rebooting yesterday afternoon, I have been unable to replicate the screen blackout problem.  Perhaps it is fixed.  I'll continue to watch and will post again if it reoccurs.

FWIW, an hour ago I updated the computer bios from A13 to A14. Don't know what impact that will have, if any. 

Guess I'll violate "If ain't broke, don't fix it" and download the new v196.21 driver.  Maybe it will fit better with bios A14????

17 Posts

January 19th, 2010 22:00

I just wanted to offer everyone here an update, and let you all know I have been following this thread with great interest, as I too fell victim to this issue.

I took delivery of my XPS 8000 last week, and right out of the box... I experienced the exact same issues many of you are having...as well as a few more.  It became quite apparent the major culprit was directly linked to the Nvidia G220 card...and after talking to tech support, they seemed to recognize this issue with my system and quickly offered a return, which I accepted.

I was talking with a sales person today, and I purchased the XPS 9000...and when it got time to order my preference in a video card, I told the salesman about my issue and why I returned my computer.  He immediately knew exactly what I was talking about when I told him I did NOT want an Nvidia card.  They apparently had so many issues with this, that if you all notice now, there is no more "XPS 8000" systems. They are re-branding them 8001...and indeed, the culprit was in fact the Nvidia G220 cards.......which Dell is no longer installing in ANY system.

So there you have it.  Dell was indeed aware of this issue...and they are no longer offering the problem card...nor the XPS 8000's any more.

I hope this clears it up for everyone.

39 Posts

January 20th, 2010 10:00

I just ordered a an xps 8000 from their refurn sale on Friday the 14th of January.  It came with a gt 220 card.  I would assume this was fixed (hence the refurb) and they would not re sell it unless that was the case.  I have only used it for a few hours.  Should I return it or request a different gpu, knowing their current position on the card?  What other cards which are better can I put into it without having to upgrade the psu?  I am not a hardcore gamer but would like a good video card.  Thanks for your help.  One prob Ive found is the wireless does not hook up to the network even though there is a wifi card with two antennae? 

39 Posts

I got the 8000 with 22 inch monitor, soundbar, 6gb ram,etc with tax and shipping for 950 total I hate to return it. Maybe it was repaired as nothing is wrong with it.

17 Posts

there is no "fix" for the GT220 card.  Dell has/is returning them to the manufacturer.  call your salesperson and request a return as they are doing for this for others.  They have dumped the XPS 8000 for the XPS 8100..because of this.  Unless there is some kind of "accept as-is" with refurbs...I have no idea...but for the money...you TOTALLY need to jump on the XPS 9000 sale they have going on ..... and today is the last day.  i7 chip, 6 gigs of ram, a huge monitor, and a two year warranty for a grand. (check out their deal of the day section)

17 Posts

January 20th, 2010 11:00

why take the chance?  I hope you have an extended warranty....and best of luck

15 Posts

January 21st, 2010 08:00

I went online with Dell Tech Support yesterday about this issue. The rep used GOTOAssist to take over my PC. SHe checked the driver against the version that Dell has - they were the same - then went to the nVidia site and dowloaded and installed the latest driver. SHe said that only some of the GT220 cards were bad and it is due to a driver conflist. She said the new driver should resolve the 'driver stopped working' issue. We'll see. It sounds like this is the spiel they're supposed to tell everyone.

She basically had no response to my question about dropping the card from all Dell PCs.

Last night I was playing a stupid flash game on Facebook when my screen went black. I'm using the HDMI interface to my monitor. I've seen this before and I think it's a different issue as it only happens with this one particular flash game (Farmville - stop laughing!).

4 Posts

January 21st, 2010 09:00

Yes, I was online with them yesterday too....they upgraded the driver and said I shouldn't have any problems...and of course, it did it again last night!  When I questioned about the card not being good...I got a "it's a good card and there arent' many problems with it".  uh uh.

16 Posts

January 21st, 2010 09:00

Ok, I'm a real beginner in my knowledge about power supplies.  What is the wattage of the power supply that Dell installs on the 8000?  and what are the GT220 requirements?  Where do you find the info for the Dell machines like that?  I to went thru Dell Tech Support, they updated my bios and the nVidia driver to the November version. I wonder if I should install the January version.  I still have the black out problem but it only occurs when the print preview window pops up.  Once I turn that function off, I haven't had anymore problems.  I haven't had the internet window, resizing issue like most here.  I'm wondering if my problem is connected with the old printer I have and its driver.  I have a new printer, but haven't connected it up yet to test this theory.

17 Posts

January 21st, 2010 11:00

kylarice.... to answer your power question on the 8000... 350 W PSU

11 Posts

January 21st, 2010 14:00

I've been having this problem on my Studio XPS 8000 which I setup on Jan 9th.  It began happening the next day.  I called Dell, and the tech said they would fix it with a new video card.  She said a tech would come out to install it.  Today the card arrived by Fed Ex.  I called Dell, and they said I'm to install it myself.  OK, I can do that.  I asked if was the same model card - nVidia GeForce GT200.  They said it was.  When I protested and told the tech about the problems people are having - and that Dell has replaced the 8000 with the 8100 with a different video card, he went to do some research. He came back and told me it's happening to ATI cards too. 

He told me to put the new card in and try it.  If it doesn't help, I'm to call Dell back and give them my case number.  He didn't recommend downloading the latest drivers from nVidia.  If this card gives the same errors, I certainly may try getting the drivers directly from nVidia.  For now, I'm doing what Dell tells me with this card since  I've only had the computer it two weeks. 

I may have to wait a few days to see if the problem is fixed.  Mine doesn't go black every day.

Interesting - but not at all surprising - that every tech seems to have a different answer when we call in about this.

17 Posts

January 21st, 2010 15:00

A few thoughts....

by all means...see how and if that fixes things.  that said...be VERY mind full of your 30 day window. let's face it...Dell isn't going to suggest a return unless YOU demand it.  as for ATI cards, or the nvidia 260 and 280......they are all still being offered...while the 220 (and the XPS 8000) are GONE.  that tells us all we need to know.

my issues my first day were: (in no particular order)

WINDOWS EXPLORER HAS STOPPED WORKING-CHECKING FOR A SOLUTION

BLACK SCREEN- nVIDIA HAS STOPPED WORKING BUT HAS RESTARTED

SPEAKERS- POPPING AND CRACKING-SAME WITH HEADPHONES-AND USE OF DIFFERENT MEDIA DEVICES

ANY ATTEMPT TO ACCESS MY "SOUND/OPTIONS" PANEL ENDED UP WITH A CRASH AND RESTART

THE REMOTE DESKTOP PROCEDURE CALL FAILED

DISPLAY DRIVER HAS STOPPED RESPONDING AND RECOVERED.

ANY TIME I ATTEMPTED TO WATCH VIDEO IN FULL SCREEN, THE COMPUTER CRASHED.

No Events found!