Michial
3 Silver

Re: Video blacks out occasionally for a few seconds

I would encourage folks with this gt 220 issue to continue to call and request that tech support put in their notes a request for a gts 240.  Ask them to "warm transfer" you to customer care and have them justify the dispatch.  If they say only a gt 220 can be replaced just tell then that isnt the stock card anymore, and for good reason as it is incompatible.  THe stock vdeo card equivalent is the gts 240.  Ask them to dispatch it out to a local tech in your area to install it and send back the other. 

0 Kudos
MikeLisi
2 Bronze

I just got off the phone with tech support regarding the video black outs.  They are aware of the problem and Nvidia is aware of the problem.  The Dell tech said that they are having success with installing the latest driver fron Nvidia's website (8.17.11.9621).  I told them that others have tried this without success.  He said to try it for a day or 2 and see what happens.  If it still does not work, Dell will replace the video card with a GT240.  I'll let you know what happens.

0 Kudos
Michial
3 Silver

Yeah the update kept mine from blacking out and freezing the whole computer to just freezing the page and not blacking it out.  I coudl escape out of the full screen and close the window.  SO I complained and a tech will be at my house in one hour to take away my gt 220 and put in a gts 240, a significantly better card with twice the shaders and twice the bandwidth.  Much faster and they work great.  Cant wait to try it out later.

0 Kudos
Michial
3 Silver

So here is the updated saga of Dell and their craziness.  The tech came out with the GTS 240 to replace the GT220.  Guess what?...It didnt work at all. They then tried to tell my wife they would not send out another but would send another computer with the inferior problem ridden GT220.  I got on the phone and took charge, by the grace of God that is..  I said for all the garbage Ive been through to send a tech on site to fix this, that my computer was going nowhere.  I also said I would not accept the GT220 or the GTS240 but wanted, for all the troubles, a GTX260.  He said no several times and talked to his supervisor and said no again.  I then told him he would lose my 1000 sale and I would return it all if he didnt and I would tell all my friends not to buy dell.  Then he said he would make an exception and overnight a GTX260 and a new motherboard and have a tech install it onsight.  I am stoked to have the good card.  I asked the man on the phone if I could speak to his supervisor and give him some props.  I put in a good word for the man and he gave me an email to send more props.  I told him if he took care of me I would, and I will.  What a crazy story.  Amazing though how he said he coudlnt do it until I threatened to return the 1000 plus system, then he said ok.  Iam thankful to the Lord for this and hope you all have success in your battles with dell.

0 Kudos
lupoo
3 Silver

Dear friends

XPS desktop 435MT with NVidia GT220

De last thing I could do was replacing the latest Dell Oem driver by the latest NVidia driver  form the NVidia site (Jan.10) The computer black out occasionally  36 times since I got this system. Mostly Live kernel events. Just a few seconds before it recovered.  I re-installed Windows 7, upgraded the bios to the latest version, tried the newest Dell Oem driver but nothing could prevent the computer from blacking out. 2 Days ago I installed the latest GT220 driver from the NVidia site. After one day of hope, again a black out but this time the whole system froze. Really a black screen, lost all my work and had to restart the system. Just enlarged a window.

I have always said don’t complain and try everything what is possible to solve a problem but I am convinced now that the only thing Dell can do is provide real service. Replace this disaster product (GT220) by a working one with a working driver.

I called the techs. It is understandable that they don’t admit that the GT220 is a disaster but stay persistent.

0 Kudos
Michial
3 Silver

The tech came out and installed the 260 GTX.  It works great.  No video issues anymore.  Dell even sent me the OS discs, driver disc and application and software discs without asking.  Sweet.

0 Kudos
MikeLisi
2 Bronze

Since the new driver and new BIOS was installed I have not had any issues with the video card.  I have only used the computer for a few hours since the update.  You mentioned that you were having screen freeze.  What are you doing when this screen freeze occurs and what exactly happens?

0 Kudos
ladlse
2 Bronze

Ten days ago I reported being able to replicate the momentary video blackout and recovery by grabbing a pane edge and attempting to resize.  Then I updated the driver from Nvidia site to 196.21.  I also updated the bios to A14.  For ten days now - many hours - I have not had any video problems.  Lucky, coincidence, lack of stressing programs/games, or some complex interaction among components and software - who knows?  FWIW, the computer never had the screen freeze or lockups mentioned elsewhere in this thread, only the momentary blackout/recovery problem.

Normal 0 false false false EN-US X-NONE X-NONE <!-- /* Font Definitions */ @font-face {font-family:"Cambria Math"; panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4; mso-font-charset:1; mso-generic-font-family:roman; mso-font-format:other; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:0 0 0 0 0 0;} @font-face {font-family:Calibri; panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4; mso-font-charset:0; mso-generic-font-family:swiss; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:-520092929 1073786111 9 0 415 0;} /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-unhide:no; mso-style-qformat:yes; mso-style-parent:""; margin-top:0in; margin-right:0in; margin-bottom:10.0pt; margin-left:0in; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; mso-bidi-font-size:11.0pt; font-family:"Arial","sans-serif"; mso-fareast-font-family:Calibri; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-latin;} .MsoChpDefault {mso-style-type:export-only; mso-default-props:yes; font-size:12.0pt; mso-ansi-font-size:12.0pt; mso-ascii-font-family:Arial; mso-fareast-font-family:Calibri; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-hansi-font-family:Arial; mso-bidi-font-family:Arial;} .MsoPapDefault {mso-style-type:export-only; margin-bottom:10.0pt;} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.0in 1.0in 1.0in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} -->

Equipment:  Dell Studio XPS 435T/9000, 8G Ram, i7 CPU 920@2.67, Nvidia GeForce GT220/1024MB, Integrated Audio 7.1 channel, Dell S2209W Monitor with DVI connection, Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit, bios A14.

0 Kudos
kylarice
2 Bronze

I thought the GT260 requires a bigger power supply than what comes with the XPS 8000.  Did you upgrade your power supply?

0 Kudos
Michial
3 Silver

The technician who came out to install the gtx 260 said they are fine-that Dell both understates their psu's ability and tweeks the card for compatibility and stability with the system.  Good enough for me.

0 Kudos