2 Bronze

Re: Video blacks out occasionally for a few seconds

Why is everyone trying to get a new card installed?

You just paid for a new working xps 8000 / xps 9000

If the machine is faulty – RETURN IT!!

Get your money back

Don’t waste you time trying to fix it!

You paid for a machine top work.

Telephone dell and say ‘I don’t want thus machine. Xps 8000 is rubbish. I want my money’

SIMPLE

0 Kudos
2 Iron

I have followed the exact procedure as described by ladlse above and since then there have been no more blackouts and restarts of the driver.

The procedure involves:

• uninstalling the esisting (July 2009) Nvidia driver (screen goes into VGA resolution)
  • restarting
  • after restarting, Windows will automatically look for a better driver; in my case it reinstalled an older nvidia driver (June 2009)
  • restart again
  • remove the (older) Nvidia driver again
  • restart
  • ... (repeat these steps)
  • ... Until WIndows finally decides the only suitable driver is a standard VGA driver.
  • Then install the newest nvidia driver found at nvidia.com (I used the January 2010 driver)

Since then, there have been no blackouts on my system. (Used to have one almost every time I resized a Firefox or Excel window)

My system:

Dell Vostro 430 with 4 GB ram, i7 CPU, bios A14

Windows 7 professional, 64 bit (Dutch)

nvidia GT220 with 1024 MB

Monitor: Barco MFCD-1219 connected via DVI

0 Kudos
3 Silver

Glad that worked for you.  I had a tech on the phone with goto assist who witnessed the event on my computer after I installed new drivers.  My screen stopped blacking out but would freeze up.  I asked for a better card.  I demanded a gtx 260 and got one free of charge or told them I would return the system.  They delivered it overnight and it runs like a charm.  I can play the latest games on it too.  THe thing is super fast.  So if anybody doesnt have your success ask for a better card.

0 Kudos
2 Bronze

I got my machine in November.  I finally complained to Dell and they installed the latest driver (from nvidia site) and Bios and its still didn't solve the problem. That was December.  Recently I uninstalled the driver and installed the Jan driver and still have the problem.  I might try the Bios next.  I thought someone said A14, but I only see A03 on the Dell site?  I think I'm way past the date for me to threaten to return my machine.  For some reason I only get the blackouts when I turn on print preview.  So I have been leaving it off.  I don't do gaming, just graphics stuff.  I'm wondering if its the printer driver causing the problem.  I have an old printer. I bought a new printer and tried to install it but turns out it was dead and I had to return it.  So still waiting on a new printer.  I would love to get a GTX260 but I don't think I have any leverage at this point to ask for it except maybe thought the employee purchase program.  Seems like sometimes purchases made though them seem to get different treatment.

0 Kudos
2 Bronze

Listen............they have sold you a computer that does NOT work properly

phone dell tomorrow morning at 9.am

Tel Dell  'i want to return this computer. i don’t want it!

Simple

Go get your money back

You buy a brand new hard ware – it should work for at least one year!

Get YOUR money back

I have

dont accept rubbish

Not applicable

I had this problem for several weeks with my XPS 9000 with NVIDIA GT220.  I downloaded the new January 2010 driver directly from the NVIDIA site.  That seemed to create a new problem: After going into sleep mode, the computer would not come out of the sleep mode; it would just whirr, with a black screen. 

I then went to Control Panel, Power Options and unchecked the Dell power plan and checked the Balanced power plan. 

Since then I have had no problems at all, after over 50 hours of use.  Maybe there is a problem with the Dell power plan software---maybe it conflicts with NVIDIA 220 video card. 

Try (1) unchecking the Dell power plan and (2)  downloading the January 2010 NVIDIA driver from the NVIDIA website.

0 Kudos
Not applicable

Michial, I am having the same problem but the Dell service guy I contacted was clueless and said there was no such issue flagged against the XPS and GT 220. I am wondering if you would be able to share your Dell case number with me via email or private conversation so I can direct Dell Tech Support to that case to see what they did for your system.

0 Kudos
2 Bronze

Hello I am England and I had an xps 8000 and the NVIDIA card  GT220 AND it crashed within the first 10 hours!The whole machine was a piece of junk!Rubbish machineI still need a decent desktop.

I wanted the dell xps 9000 but the xps 9000 is onlt sold in America and Japan!

So my option is to go back to dell and get xps 8100……….This time I will get Intel core i5- 750 And a newer updated nvidia card GT440.Can I trust dell xps 8100 will work WITH THIS nvidia card? ----------------------------------

0 Kudos
2 Bronze

Michial I am glad you got your machine sorted

I did tell you earlier – to phone dell and get the machine returned and get a full refund.

Why are people accepting rubbish machines with JUNK internal parts?

You pay good money and you want a good machine!

I still need a desktop.

I am be crazy – I have phoned dell (again) for a new 4th desktop!!

Dell have released an xps 8100 with a nvidia upgraded card called nvidia gt440

Will this new Nvidia card work?

0 Kudos
2 Bronze

Ditto. New motherboard, new hard drive, new video card to be installed as well. Beyond the return period. TWO QUESTIONS for the experts who use this forum. Dell proposes to replace the GT220 with a Radeon 4850. Is this a good trade? SECOND - has anyone experienced hard crashes after installing software? My XPS fell into a complete blue screen, requiring system restore, and on one occassion 'forgetting' my login password. Granted, the offenders were first AVG, second Norton Internet Security. But still, this has never happened. Error messages, yes, but hard crash right after loggin in - never before. Having a second PC with internet access is the only thing that has allowed me to deal with all the XPS issues without going nuts.  While on the phone with Dell the driver error popped up twice. Rather lousy Christmas present, I'd say. Thanks for any experience others may have.

0 Kudos