Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 27th, 2009 15:00

Video blacks out occasionally for a few seconds

I just got the Studio XPS 9000 with Windows 7.  The video card is a 1024MB nVidea GeForce GT220.  Every now and then the screen goes black for 2-3 seconds and then comes back.  I also get an error message that says:

Display Driver NVIDEA Windows Kernel Ver 186.27 has stopped responding and has recovered successfully.

It may be my imagination but it seems to happen most frequently when I'm on the internet and a second window opens and I grab an edge and try to resize it.

Anyone else seeing this??  I'm looking for solutions. I wanted to leave Dell support an email message but it had a note that email support was for hardware problems only and for software issues I should use their chargeable software support phone line.  I don't think I should pay for support for a machine right out of the box.

14 Posts

February 15th, 2010 14:00

I have a similar computer as you.   I also downloaded the latest Nvidia driver and the problem disappeared.  I am also not a gamer but have been playing a lot of videos without any problem.  I thought it strange that Dell would not have the latest driver on its site to download, since this seems to be the solution.

14 Posts

February 15th, 2010 16:00

I just installed the driver over the existing one.  In fact, I first went to the Dell web site and tried theirs but experienced the same problem with the video black outs.  I went to the other web site and downloaded the January driver over the latest Dell one.  Never experienced a problem again.  It has been over a week.  When I had the problem, Iit occurred over 30 times.  My Dell arrived just before Christmas.

36 Posts

February 15th, 2010 16:00

@ jtorrone:

Well, it doesnt seem to be the solution for EVERYONE. For example in the case of XPSinUSA it didn't help.

Therefore I have the same question for you: Did you just install the January driver over the existing one, or did you follow the procedure of first uninstalling the preinstalled drivers one by one until Windows resorted to the standard VGA driver?

14 Posts

February 15th, 2010 18:00

I also have an XPS 9000.  I didn't experience the computer sleep mode.  The good news is that you got your computer working perfectly now.

February 15th, 2010 18:00

I also just installed the January 2010 driver from the NVIDEA website, without first uninstalling anything. 

As noted in my first post, I then had a problem with the computer going into sleep mode and not coming out (unless I unplugged the computer and started over), which I fixed by unchecking the Dell power plan within the Control Panel, Power Options.  Maybe a coincidence, but this second problem arose immediately after I had downloaded and installed the January NVIDEA driver.  

My xps 9000 is working perfectly now, and has been for two weeks.

12 Posts

February 15th, 2010 19:00

I haven't had any xps 9000 problems since updating the Nvidia driver as described in my post almost four weeks ago.  My power options check is still the original Dell power plan.

Dell Studio XPS 435T/9000, 8G Ram, i7 CPU 920@2.67,GT220/1024MB, Integrated Audio Dell S2209W Monitor with DVI cable, Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit, bios A14

14 Posts

February 16th, 2010 09:00

XPSinUSA, I  have had terrible problems with the XPS 9000.  First of all, it looked like I needed a new hard drive.  I called Dell support who took over long distance control of my computer.   He confirmed the crash and made arrangements for a techniciian to come out to my house and replace the hard drive.  The day before he was to arrive, I got a call from Dell support who said that he wanted to try a last minute software patch, which did fix the problem.  Although I had to go through the long process of having the one hard drive copy all the information from the other.  Before the fix for the black screen problem with the latest driver, I also experienced twice the rebuilding of the RAID 1, which also takes some time.   Another problem I discovered is that my eSATA card isn't working.  I bought an external hard drive which uses eSATA which is the fastest backup possible.  Dell support has not resolved this problem yet.  I am currently using a firewire connection with the external hard drive.  I originally bought a Dell computer after I read many posts in the HP forum about all the problems their computers were having.  It seems we are struggling with the XPS 9000 and its problems.  I find when I call Dell support, it ties up a good portion of my time.  I did not call them on the screen black out.  The Forum was more help than possibly Dell support.

6 Posts

February 16th, 2010 09:00

Apprecite the posts and experiences. Maybe I'm alone with this, but every hard crash created another issue; after each crash, the second hard drive in RAID 1, had errors and needed to be rebuilt, the last time after rebuild, dying altogether. This was the new, replacment hard drive from Dell. Sometimes a blue screen, sometimes a password lockout, sometimes programs not working, each time requiring safe mode and restore to get a boot..And each time with the uncertainty as to whether it would boot up at all. Rather tiring. But the forums have spared me  the grief of reinstalling Windows. And when Dell support tried to send another GT220, I pointed him to the forums and a Dell search.  I got another card., but it was full height and did not fit, but whatever, we'll get that fixed.

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

March 12th, 2010 05:00

Video blacks out occasionally for a few seconds on Studio XPS 8000

Engineering would like to capture a Studio XPS 8000 for the above issue. If you are willing, we would setup a "like for like" exchange. When you got the exchange, there would be a special Return Airbill to send the original PC to the engineers. If you want to do this, send me the following in a Private Message (Click my name, click Send a Message) -
Name:
Email Address:
Shipping address:
Phone number:
PC Service Tag number:
Reason: Studio XPS 8000 Capture Request For Video Black Out Issue

17 Posts

March 12th, 2010 07:00

Chris... you guys are still working on this?

it was my understanding that you guys resolved this issue....and directed it solely at the GT220 card.  I sent my old xps 8000 (with the GT220 card) back already last month...if there is a way for you to locate it.....please do.  I upgraded to an xps 9000... so no need to swap me out.

6 Posts

March 13th, 2010 16:00

Here we go again ..... Due to all the incidents with my XPS 8000, I was able to badger and plead with Dell tech support and get a replacent XPS 8100, this time I insisted upon  the ATI Radeon 5770 Video card. Finally finished setting up, and three days into into it I thought I might let the kiddo watch for a few minutes at scoobydo.com. BOOM! Dark screen, loud hum and sudden power down. Very familiar. Hmm ... the  last crash on the XPS 8000 that I sent back was while on NationalGeographic.com. It must be those kids sites that are causing all these issues!  Count me as at the end of the rope with XPS. I will call Dell tech support and log the first of what I expect will be many calls. Anyone have a similar experience here?

16 Posts

March 14th, 2010 21:00

Oh I hope someone does this.  It might lead to some answers.  I would but I'm so busy with my computer right now, I can afford the down time and would hate to get a replacement computer that has worse problems then mine has right now.  Mine is only blacking out when I select print preview.  I'm not getting the web browsing blackouts.  I thought mine is due to the printer drivers since my printers are old but I just bought a new printer and still have the same issue.  So I just don't use the print preview to avoid the blackouts.

11 Posts

March 15th, 2010 12:00

I was able to return my XPS 8000.  At that time I wasn't sure what I wanted.  I did later order an XPS 8100 with the ATI Radeon 5770 Video card.  So far I have not had any problem with it.  I even intentionally went through the scenarios that had caused problems on my XPS 8000 and the XPS 8100 worked fine.  I do view videos in full screen, but not from the sites you mentioned - nor any other "kids sites".  So sorry to hear you are having trouble with the 8100. 

Some people have mentioned having problems after using print preview, but I have never experienced that with either the 8000 or the 8100.

14 Posts

March 15th, 2010 13:00

I am also hesitant about calling Dell support.  I have talked with many support people in India.  Some are okay, others not okay.  But once you call, you are on the phone for hours.  Sorry to hear about the GT220 problems.  Fortunately, the latest driver did work for me.  My latest problem is that the eSATA cable does not work in my XPS 9000. I tested it on another computer and it worked okay.  Will need to call India again and be on the phone for hours to resolve this, which I believe is simply a software problem.  Dell needs to know that all these problems tarnishes its image.  I previously read an HP forum and decided to not buy an HP desktop because all the problems listed.  Of course, I did look at the Dell forum before buying my desktop right before Christmas.  All these problems did not show up at the time.  Potential buyers do read forums and otherwise for potential problems.  Dell should acknowledge its problems and move on.

5 Posts

March 15th, 2010 14:00

You are right on the money with your response. Dell don't care after the sale is made. They do not have knowledgeable Techs like the before. They are heading the same direction as Toyota. They will suffer in the long run. I can go and buy another new graphics card from Newegg or Best Buy but that is not the issue, it is the principle. A company should stand behind their product. Time is money and I cannot also stay on the phone and online with the folks in India for countless hours.

They are nice people but unfortunately they lack direction and problem solving skills.

Thanks for your response!

No Events found!