ZetaNine
2 Bronze

Re: Video blacks out occasionally for a few seconds

Chris... you guys are still working on this?

it was my understanding that you guys resolved this issue....and directed it solely at the GT220 card.  I sent my old xps 8000 (with the GT220 card) back already last month...if there is a way for you to locate it.....please do.  I upgraded to an xps 9000... so no need to swap me out.

0 Kudos
XPSinUSA
2 Bronze

Here we go again ..... Due to all the incidents with my XPS 8000, I was able to badger and plead with Dell tech support and get a replacent XPS 8100, this time I insisted upon  the ATI Radeon 5770 Video card. Finally finished setting up, and three days into into it I thought I might let the kiddo watch for a few minutes at scoobydo.com. BOOM! Dark screen, loud hum and sudden power down. Very familiar. Hmm ... the  last crash on the XPS 8000 that I sent back was while on NationalGeographic.com. It must be those kids sites that are causing all these issues!  Count me as at the end of the rope with XPS. I will call Dell tech support and log the first of what I expect will be many calls. Anyone have a similar experience here?

0 Kudos
kylarice
2 Bronze

Oh I hope someone does this.  It might lead to some answers.  I would but I'm so busy with my computer right now, I can afford the down time and would hate to get a replacement computer that has worse problems then mine has right now.  Mine is only blacking out when I select print preview.  I'm not getting the web browsing blackouts.  I thought mine is due to the printer drivers since my printers are old but I just bought a new printer and still have the same issue.  So I just don't use the print preview to avoid the blackouts.

0 Kudos
RanRuth
2 Bronze

I was able to return my XPS 8000.  At that time I wasn't sure what I wanted.  I did later order an XPS 8100 with the ATI Radeon 5770 Video card.  So far I have not had any problem with it.  I even intentionally went through the scenarios that had caused problems on my XPS 8000 and the XPS 8100 worked fine.  I do view videos in full screen, but not from the sites you mentioned - nor any other "kids sites".  So sorry to hear you are having trouble with the 8100. 

Some people have mentioned having problems after using print preview, but I have never experienced that with either the 8000 or the 8100.

0 Kudos
jtorrone
2 Bronze

I am also hesitant about calling Dell support.  I have talked with many support people in India.  Some are okay, others not okay.  But once you call, you are on the phone for hours.  Sorry to hear about the GT220 problems.  Fortunately, the latest driver did work for me.  My latest problem is that the eSATA cable does not work in my XPS 9000. I tested it on another computer and it worked okay.  Will need to call India again and be on the phone for hours to resolve this, which I believe is simply a software problem.  Dell needs to know that all these problems tarnishes its image.  I previously read an HP forum and decided to not buy an HP desktop because all the problems listed.  Of course, I did look at the Dell forum before buying my desktop right before Christmas.  All these problems did not show up at the time.  Potential buyers do read forums and otherwise for potential problems.  Dell should acknowledge its problems and move on.

0 Kudos
herbw01
2 Bronze

You are right on the money with your response. Dell don't care after the sale is made. They do not have knowledgeable Techs like the before. They are heading the same direction as Toyota. They will suffer in the long run. I can go and buy another new graphics card from Newegg or Best Buy but that is not the issue, it is the principle. A company should stand behind their product. Time is money and I cannot also stay on the phone and online with the folks in India for countless hours.

They are nice people but unfortunately they lack direction and problem solving skills.

Thanks for your response!

0 Kudos
mamamulla
2 Bronze

Same thing here...tech came out and replaced with the same card, refurbished.  Still having problems but haven't had the time to sit on the phone for hours with them yet again.  Very aggrevating!

0 Kudos
Michial
3 Silver

I argued for a good several hours and demanded an upgrade.  They replaced my gt 220 with a new motherboard and a gtx260. They tried to replace it with a 220.  I said no, its not compatible,etc,etc.  Had to talk with supervisor after supervisor.  I put almost 300 cell phone minutes for it.  I was within my 30 days when the black outs started happeneing and read forums where others had same problem.  So I finally talked them into at gts 240 but it didnt work so I said Id take back the whole system and tell everyonw I knew how bad dell is.  He gave in and overnighted a new motherboard and gtx260.  I can hardcore game or do just about anything, even run a 50 inch plasma and a 22 inch screen simul in HD. It works great. 

0 Kudos
RanRuth
2 Bronze

When I purchased the XPS 8100 to replace the XPS 8000 I had returned previously, I paid extra to get North American tech support.  Yes, it did cost more, but I thought it would be worth it to talk to someone from North America if I did have any problems with the XPS 8100.  So far I haven't had to use tech support on the XPS 8100.  I don't know if they will be any more knowledgeable, but at least they will be easier to communicate with. 

0 Kudos
herbw01
2 Bronze

My post was deleted because it contained language which was against their policy. I am not sure, what I posted that was bad. I did not use any cuss words or profane language. Dell does not want to hear about problems.

Thanks everyone for reading my post while it was still there.

0 Kudos