scilipoj
2 Bronze

Video blacks out occasionally for a few seconds

I just got the Studio XPS 9000 with Windows 7.  The video card is a 1024MB nVidea GeForce GT220.  Every now and then the screen goes black for 2-3 seconds and then comes back.  I also get an error message that says:

Display Driver NVIDEA Windows Kernel Ver 186.27 has stopped responding and has recovered successfully.

It may be my imagination but it seems to happen most frequently when I'm on the internet and a second window opens and I grab an edge and try to resize it.

Anyone else seeing this??  I'm looking for solutions. I wanted to leave Dell support an email message but it had a note that email support was for hardware problems only and for software issues I should use their chargeable software support phone line.  I don't think I should pay for support for a machine right out of the box.

0 Kudos
187 Replies
rschrieb
Not applicable

Re: Video blacks out occasionally for a few seconds

I have the same problem with my XPS 8000 with GeForce GT220.  It happens when resizing windows exlporer windows...not every time, but enough to anger me with a new computer.  I'm calling Dell and they better not try to charge for this!

0 Kudos
scilipoj
2 Bronze

Please keep me posted.  I noticed the nvidea website has a newer version of the driver, but I first want Dell to address the issue.  I have had one incident when the screen went dark and didn't recover.  I had to manually shut down the PC and restart.

I'm also planning to call Dell when i can get away from work during the week.  I figure if I called on wekends, it would be on endless hold.

0 Kudos
rschrieb
Not applicable

I went ahead and updated my drivers fron NVIDIA's website.  SInce then , the issue has not repeated - I'll keep an eye on it and let you know if it happens again.

scilipoj
2 Bronze

Thanks.  I'll probably do the same.

0 Kudos
SmittyTex
Not applicable

Thanks for the tip as I was having the exact same problem.  I updated the driver but now it flickers when I scroll.  One thing I noticed is that I am running the 64 bit Win 7 so I downloaded the 64 bit driver but the driver that was on my control panel was a 32 bit. Which one should I have used?

0 Kudos
cigsm
Not applicable

I'm having the SAME exact problems. Computer a little over a month old. XPS 9000 64bit Windows 7.  It happens whenever a new window pops up to save a picture, or whatever. Anyone?

0 Kudos
rschrieb
Not applicable

Ever since updating my drivers on NVDIAs website, I've had no more problems: http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us

Good luck!

0 Kudos
kylarice
2 Bronze

I'm having the same problem with my XPS 8000 and nVidea GT220.  My screen goes black usually when a print preview window opens ( I haven't noticed it when  on the internet as some people are saying).  so did anyone call Dell and what was there solution?  I haven't tried the video driver download yet.  I saw one person comment on another thread that the new driver solved that problem and created another with Window Live gallery.  For those that downloaded the driver, are things working out fine now?

0 Kudos
bear5
2 Bronze

I also have a similar configuration that I just received with the same identical problem.  I was appreciative of these postings since it provided me a way to resolve the problem. Unfortunately I upgraded the driver and installed it (verified after a reboot that it was running) but still have the same problem but maybe a little less frequent.  The version of the nVidea driver that I am running is 8.15.11.8634.  Has anyone had any luck with resolving this?  I am little frustrated with this and hesitate to go into the Dell support center.  Thanks.

0 Kudos