Dan-H
4 Germanium

RE: Video card upgrade for XPS 8700 i3

Jump to solution

www.dell.com/.../SLN295215 bios link is on this page.

0 Kudos
OscarBlanco
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

Thanks for taking all this time to help me Dan-H!

I'll take a look at all of this then!

I'm still unsure about spending over $200 for a video upgrade on this old (in computer years) cpu.

But is sure is tempting!

0 Kudos
Dan-H
4 Germanium

Jump to solution

@OscarBlanco which processor do you have?

Core i5 4440

or

Core i7 4770

or

Core i7 4790

If you have the 4770 or 4790 you are good for many years.

I would add an SSD, upgrade to 16GB of memory and put as much graphics card as you can afford up to the GTX 1060 I listed above.

if you have the i5, you might consider upgrading the processor to a 4770 or a 4790. You can get these new or on eBay and sell your 4440 for at least $100 on eBay.

re-reading your first post, " with most of your workload in photoshop and other design applications" you may get more benefit from a core i7, an SSD and 16GB of RAM, and then going with less of a graphics card (edit) if you are on a tight budget (/edit)

Please let us know which cpu you have.

0 Kudos
OscarBlanco
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

Sadly the first.

Like I mentioned before, it gets to a point where maybe getting a new cpu might be cheaper than upgrading so much stuff...

That's why I just wanted a cheap video card upgrade, which to me is the weakest part in my current configuration.

But maybe even that is wasting money...

0 Kudos
Dan-H
4 Germanium

Jump to solution

Hard to say.

The i5 is not a bad CPU.

The "cheapest" way to buy an i7 might be buy another 8700 with an i7 on eBay, and sell yours.

I've seen core i7 8700s selling around $300. If you could flip it and sell it with a core i5 for $200?

hard to say. Not sure what I would do, but I'd put the price options into a spreadsheet and see.

I think the first thing I would do is buy a 500GB SSD, clone the HDD to it and see how much better it is.

I like the samsung 850 evo. That alone will speed the system up tremendously.

Even if you decide to get a new system, the SSD can go to that system.

Good luck !

0 Kudos
OscarBlanco
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

Thank you for all the advice Dan-H. it's very valuable.

About SSD's I still like Hybrids (of course I own several external HD's for file storage, but I can't work from them much), I have used systems with SSD and they are definitely faster, but the amount of disk space vs price is still a problem, when you work with so many large files as i do as a graphic artist.

0 Kudos