Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 7th, 2009 09:00

Video display issues with NEW Studio Desktop

Unfortunately I have found out that the video card ATI Radeon HD 3450 included in the vista(64) Intel Core 2 quad computer will not work properly with the monitor that came with this computer or another I purchased a few months ago. I cannot set the resolution to 1650 x 1050 or 1400 x 900.

I opened an issue with Dell support, they could not resolve the issue.

Beware do not buy this combination. You will be looking a sub par resolution.

Don't believe the sales people they lie. They say this works. It doesn't. 

Dell knows of this problem and continues to sell this non functional combination.

I am very disappointed with dell.

Unfortunately I have to keep this computer, so If any one knows of solution please let me know.

Thanks

G

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

January 7th, 2009 10:00

Monitors limit the resolution settings, not just the video card. You don't mention which monitor you have, but that must be the problem, not the video card. Only top of the line large monitors can show those high resolutions.

4th

1 Message

January 7th, 2009 10:00

No VGA ?
I may have a dud on arrival: there is no video signal from either of the blue VGA connectors. The computer goes acoustically through a standard boot but monitor remains black with LED pink i.e. no signal.
As my new DVI monitor is on the way, any advice from you guys in the meantime? Is there a reason the VGA would be de-activated by some factory setting or do I have a fried motherboard ? I read that the on-board HDMI is suppressed when one has the video card with HDMI. I hope that my issue is something with a factory settings, like I need to change something in BIOS. (which I can't as the monitor stays balck, without incoming signal)

1 Message

January 9th, 2009 17:00

I have this trouble everytime with Dell and ATI PCI-Express video cards- I bin the Catalyst rubbish download the ATI/AMD driver only from the ATI/AMD website and the resolutions are then all readily available for all screen sizes from 15" up to 24" wide. If you want twin screen capability etc then dowload the full package from AMD I havn't tried that but it's on the same page as the driver only.

go to http://game.amd.com/us-en/drivers_catalyst.aspx?p=xp/radeonx-xp option 2

Good Luck

No Events found!