Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 18th, 2008 08:00

Vista Aero on OptiPlex 755 USFF

I would like to see what Vista's Aero Glass interface looks like, but the Dell drivers for the Intel Q35 chipset don't appear to offer the necessary WDDM compatibility. I'm evaluating Vista Business 32 bit.

The Intel site says that the WDDM drivers are available for the Q35 

http://www.intel.com/support/graphics/sb/CS-023606.htm#16

but the Intel drivers appear not to want to load onto the Dell.

Suggestions how to reolve this ? 

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

September 18th, 2008 20:00

I see there are three Chipset drivers on the Dell downloads for your machine.  Did you install the chipset drivers?  If not, that may be the reason the video drivers do not install.  On Intel chipset machines the chipset drivers must be installed before installing device drivers such as the sound and video.

The correct install sequence is (1) Install OS (2) Install chipset drivers (3) Install device drivers.

6 Posts

September 19th, 2008 08:00

I believe I installed the chipset drivers, checking Device Manager shows no yellow flags and several Intel system devices etc.

The drivers starts to install then terminates "The driver being installed is not valid for this computer. Please obtain the appropriate driver from the computer's manufacturer".

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

September 19th, 2008 14:00

Dell uses a lot of proprietary motherboards and doesn't always implement the Intel chipsets exactly like the Retail versions.  I suspect this is the case and you are stuck with the Dell supplied Video Drivers.

However, reinstall all three listed chipset drivers in the Dell downloads and then try the Intel drivers, just in case.

September 20th, 2008 10:00

I had the same problem with my optiplex 330 system, i first installed the dell display drivers for the onboard intel gma 3100 graphics (g31/g33 chipset) and when it came to getting newer drivers from Intel, it would not let me install them and i got the exact same message!

The way i solved it was to completely remove the "Dell" display drivers from the control panel ( add/remove programs) and then i removed the remaining parts from the registry using a registry cleaner (ccleaner is a good free tool) after that i downloaded the "real" Intel gma 3100 drivers from Intel and they installed perfectly and work fine, hope this helps

64 Posts

January 2nd, 2009 09:00

hi kcrc,did you ever get it to work,just wonering i bought the same system...

64 Posts

April 2nd, 2009 07:00

I Got aero working with vista buiness,.....

1.install vista,business

2.get all the drivers you can from intel site,chipset,video and install them.

3.these drivers are newer than dells.

4.i dont recomend after you put these drivers on to exceed the systems ratings,like a faster cpu,etc.

worked for me....good luck

No Events found!