Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 18th, 2008 21:00

Vista SP1 and Dimension 9200

I should want to apply Vista SP1, but it doesn't show up on Windows Update because there is a problematic driver : Sigmatel STAC92XX C-Major HD Audio Driver (version 6.10.0.5511). I went on the Dell website, and I see this driver is the most recent proposed by Dell for my machine. I'm not able to upgrade to SP1 due to the Sigmatel driver.  Is there a more recent driver than the one on the Dell site (compatible with Dimension 9200, of course) ? Could Dell propose a new driver asap ?

1.1K Posts

March 18th, 2008 22:00

5511 is the most current.   Dell appears to be working on a new driver for the Sigmatel.  At least that is what another poster put in a thread.  He stated he spoke to Dell and they told him they are in the process.  We'll see.

Also, I imagine that Microsoft will be able to configure SP1 so that it works with the incompatible drivers.  It might just be you'll have to wait until next month before being able to update.

I have 4 of 5 that updated, 1 has the Sigmatel...So i'll just wait until new drivers are made or Microsoft updates the drivers via windows update.

11 Posts

March 19th, 2008 15:00

Someone addressed this in the XPS forum. The Dim 9200 is the same machine as the XPS410.

The temporary answer is to uninstall the SigmaTel driver and restart. Windows will then install its own High Def audio driver. You can then use Microsoft Update to download Vista SP1. It worked for me. I do not know what functionality is lost but the speakers seem to work fine with Vista's generic audio driver. I do not have 5.1 sound connected though, only 2 speakers and a subwoofer from the audio out plug.

Hope this helps.

39 Posts

March 19th, 2008 16:00

What is the procedure for uninstalling the driver if it's not listed in the "Add/Remove Programs" section in Vista?

22 Posts

March 20th, 2008 16:00

@mulnhd wrote:
Someone addressed this in the XPS forum. The Dim 9200 is the same machine as the XPS410.

The temporary answer is to uninstall the SigmaTel driver and restart. Windows will then install its own High Def audio driver. You can then use Microsoft Update to download Vista SP1. It worked for me. I do not know what functionality is lost but the speakers seem to work fine with Vista's generic audio driver. I do not have 5.1 sound connected though, only 2 speakers and a subwoofer from the audio out plug.

Hope this helps.

Many thanks for your help. This work-around works for me. 35 minutes and the sp1 works fine !

2 Intern

• 

20.1K Posts

March 22nd, 2008 01:00

Use the Hardware Device Manager to uninstall it.
No Events found!